"It was a great test for me to see where I am, to see how I feel, to hear the score being called and feel the pressure of break points".
"Obviously, I was waiting for this moment for six months to get out on the court and play a match", Djokovic said.
When the six-time Australian Open champion withdrew from the season-opening Qatar Open, he said he "did not know what was going to happen".
It is not yet clear who Djokovic will play in his second match at Kooyong, expected to be on Friday.
The 30-year-old said he was "very happy with how it went" after his first competitive game since Wimbledon.
"For now I'm in the tournament and let's hope with God's grace everything will be fine in the next five days".
"I don't want to be over-confident", he said.
"I'm very happy with the way it went and that's all I can say".
"There was a doubt, especially after I pulled out of the first week of the year", said Djokovic, who had not played since retiring in the Wimbledon quarter-finals last July.
The aforementioned elbow is the injury that has kept Djokovic out for the past six months.
But he admitted he can not give himself a clear bill of health until he plays in the Australian Open next week. "It will probably be ideal if I got another tournament under my belt coming up to the Australian Open but I haven't had a chance, it wasn't meant to be, my elbow was not ready".
Plagued by rumors about personal issues last year-alongside having gotten rid of his entire training team and switched coaches from Boris Becker to Andre Agassi-the world No. 14 seems to have put those behind him and is trying to stay positive. If I got to play the way I did yesterday against the number five in the world.
Djokovic, a former world No. 1 and a 12-time Grand Slam champion, made his comeback at the Kooyong Classic on Wednesday with an impressive 6-1 6-4 win over Dominic Thiem.
"Finally back in the land down under", Djokovic posted on Twitter.
The draw for the January 15-28 tournament, the first grand slam of the year, takes place later on Thursday.
- Berks-area lawmakers respond to Trump's immigration comments
- US Chamber of Commerce ad removes Gov. Greitens amid criminal investigation
- Dow jumps 135 points to record
- California agents seize Chris Brown's pet capuchin monkey
- Bandai Namco Claims Dark Souls Remastered Never Had A 50% Off Deal
- Can analysts adopt a bullish outlook for Mastercard Incorporated (NYSE:MA)?
- Youth should be encouraged to become 'innovators': PM Modi
- Winter storm to graze Oneida and Lincoln counties
- Sivan K appointed as Space Secretary
- Rescued Canadian national Joshua Boyle arrested on multiple charges