It means he has been free to speak to foreign clubs since January 1.
Bayern sporting director Salihamidzic has now stoked the rumour fires with his comments, as shared by the club's Twitter account.
'He is a German national player and that we are interested, we can also say'.
Arsene Wenger is on the look-out for reinforcements with Jack Wilshere and Mesut Ozil's contracts expiring at the end of the season while Klopp is also on the market for a midfielder with Emre Can tipped to leave and Goretzka is seemingly on their radars.
'When the decision has been made, Leon and I will inform Schalke first of all, ' he stressed.
The 22-year-old Germany worldwide, who is out of contract in the summer, has scored six goals in 12 appearances this season to help Schalke reach the winter break in second place behind Bayern in the Bundesliga. "The Spaniards are still there in the race", Heynckes said.
'He is a player of Schalke and we of course respect that. "He knows exactly what is best for himself".
The player was linked with a huge deal in the last window but Barcelona are looking to complete it this time around.
He is expected to make a make a declaration on his future in the coming weeks and with such a great amount of interest from every side of the top Europan clubs, it will be interesting to see where the player puts his feet in the long run.
- Genworth Financial (GNW) Lifted to "Hold" at Zacks Investment Research
- Drew Barker Says He Will Transfer For His Graduate Season
- Photographer Terry Richardson Under Investigation by NYPD for Sex Crimes
- Kwara United's team bus involved in road crash
- Liverpool auto park fire: Insurance payouts estimated at £20m
- Stock Price Performance Check (9.19%) on Agnico-Eagle Mines Ltd (AEM)
- Vikas is mean to Hina
- Dry weather Friday and Saturday, precipitation in Sunday's forecast
- WVU basketball: Mountaineers can stop the Trae Young hype train
- Robert W. Baird Reaffirms Hold Rating for Target (TGT)