However, shortly after the transcript was released, "a source close to Fusion GPS" told NBC News that Simpson was referring to an Australian diplomat, who had ed the USA government after a night of "heavy drinking" with former low-level Trump foreign policy campaign adviser George Papadopoulos.
In an extraordinary Oval Office exchange, President Donald Trump questioned Thursday why the US should permit immigrants from "s--thole countries" as he rejected a plan by a bipartisan group of senators that would have changed rules affecting entrants from Africa and Haiti, according to three people briefed on the conversation. Dianne Feinstein of being "underhanded and a disgrace" for disclosing details of a dossier of allegations about his ties to Russian Federation during the presidential campaign.
It was unclear what Trump meant by saying that Republicans should take control.
Christopher Steele told the political research firm that hired him, Fusion GPS, that what he uncovered from Russian sources was serious enough to bring to the attention of USA law enforcement authorities, according to a transcript released on Tuesday.
Simpson, a former journalist who co-founded Fusion GPS, denied strongly in the interview that the dossier, which contains some salacious allegations, was phony. And as the top Democrat on the committee, she didn't need authorization from Grassley to release it. Grassley said Feinstein's decision to release the transcript "undermines the integrity of the committee's oversight work". Republicans have said the dossier was politically motivated and used to obtain FISA warrants to spy on Mr. Trump's campaign.
Feinstein also sits on the Senate intelligence committee, which is conducting its own investigation into the Russian interference and whether Trump's campaign was in any way involved.
Democrats say those investigations are a distraction.
Feinstein said that she was trying to set the record straight after speculation about Simpson's interview.
Some Republicans critical of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's probe into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russian officials have claimed the initial Federal Bureau of Investigation probe was triggered by Steele's dossier.
The disclosure raises questions about whether McCain knew that the information he delivered to the intelligence community was actually an opposition document reportedly funded by the Hillary Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee.
- 5 bold Premier League predictions: Van Dijk leads Liverpool to victory
- Marvell Technology Group Ltd. (NASDAQ: MRVL) - Do Analysts Think You Should Buy
- No third party required to resolve judiciary issue, says Government sources
- Dark Souls Trilogy Box Set Announced for Japan
- Trump signs executive order expanding veterans' mental health services
- Donald Trump Says Immigrants From Africa And Haiti Come From 'Shithole Countries'
- Donald Trump in 'Excellent Health' Confirms Doctor Following Medical Examination
- Fedex Corp (NYSE:FDX) Q3 2017 Institutional Investor Sentiment Steady
- New Yorker Cover Puts Trump 'In The Hole' After 'Racist' Comment
- You are only making America white again - Mahama jabs Trump