Among other grounds for opposition, the PIL says Banerjee had once declared to have completed Ph.D degree, but in March 1985, it was found that the University of East Georgia from which she claimed to have secured the degree did not even exist.
Speaking at the University of Calcutta after being decorated with a higher doctorate degree during its convocation ceremony, Banerjee said: "Intolerance is rising in the country". "History should not be distorted", she said. On Tuesday the petitionners' lawyer Shamim Ahmed "We filed the PIL to challenge the CU's step on multiple reasons about her ineligibility".
VC of North Bengal University has filed a PIL against the plans of Calcutta University. "The same people have chose to honour the chief minister with the honorary D.Litt", Ahmed claimed.
The Calcutta University (CU) had chose to honour the chief minister with the prestigious degree in literature for her contribution in social welfare and literature at its highest decision making body meeting- syndicate, on October 26, 2017. The university is scheduled to confer the degree on Mamata on 11 January.
The Indian chief minister said they will be given shelter in Alipurduar and Jalpaiguri districts.
The former vice chancellor dismissed the West Bengal government's contention that the plea was politically motivated and without any basis.
Appearing for the university, counsel Saktinath Mukherjee submitted that the petition lacked "justifiability" and should be rejected at the outset.
- Tamar Says She & Vince NOT Back Together - Eminem, The Weeknd Book Coachella
- Analysts See $0.60 EPS for Fidelity National Financial, Inc. (FNF)
- Theresa May to start shifting ministers in Cabinet reshuffle
- United Kingdom government calls on tech giants to do more to fight extremism
- Microsoft unveils pre-order information on the Windows 10 GLAS thermostat
- Celebrities Spoke up after Ivanka Trump Supported Time's Up
- Police hilariously warn against 'highly addictive' Girl Scout cookies
- Revenue Approximations Analysis: NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA), Sprint Corporation (S)
- Modest Leganes face Real Madrid in Copa del Rey
- East West Bancorp (EWBC) Downgraded by Zacks Investment Research