Friday, 14 December 2018
Latest news
Main » United States said to fatally bomb Afghan militia

United States said to fatally bomb Afghan militia

12 January 2018

NATO's Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan says a USA soldier has been wounded in what it calls an "active ground engagement".

US-led airstrikes killed at least 16 civilians in the Haska Mina district of Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, where Islamic State militants were active, on August 11 a year ago.

A local MP claimed two USA soldiers were killed in the incident, though the Pentagon denied any troops were killed, and only one wounded.

Gresback said they were investigating the incident.

The incident took place in the vicinity of Achin district where an operation is underway to eliminate the loyalists of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group. The US has recently relaxed those rules to allow more embedding of troops in Afghan forces. The militants are active in several southern districts of Nangarhar, including Achin.

Nato's Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan confirmed there had been an airstrike, but said it had targeted insurgents after they opened fire on an Afghan militia leader, a U.S. soldier and an interpreter. He said the insider attack left 16 Afghan and USA forces dead.

Mujahid, while commenting on that incident, confirmed the killing of its eight fighters but claimed ensuing fierce clashes also left 13 Afghan special forces dead.

Nangarhar has been the deadliest province for USA forces in the past year.

The U.S. military says a U.S. and Afghan team was lured to a meeting by insurgents posing as friendly militia members in eastern Afghanistan, triggering a shootout and a coalition airstrike on the compound.

A New Year's Day attack on a military patrol in Achin killed one US soldier.

United States said to fatally bomb Afghan militia