The overall result is that children consume three times more sugar than is recommended.
But Chris Snowdon from the Institute of Economic Affairs said: "Telling parents what they can and can't allow their children to snack on is just another addition to the long list of unnecessary interferences from Public Health England".
Half of children's sugar intake, now around 7 sugar cubes a day, comes from unhealthy snacks and sugary drinks.
However, if "100 calorie snacks, two a day max" helps more parents think twice and make regular changes to their buying habits it will have been a success.
To tackle this, Change4Life is launching its first campaign aimed at healthy snacking.
The snacks - which include Pink Lady Apple Snack Packs, Goodness Strawberry Cereal bars and Tesco Pineapple Pieces in Juice 120g - will be available at everyday low prices. Tooth extraction is the most common cause of hospital admissions in children aged five to nine years.
Currently, half of children's sugar intake comes from unhealthy snacks and sugary drinks, which can lead to obesity and dental decay.
The new push will run for eight weeks from today (2 January), and will be supported with TV, radio adverts, outdoor and digital advertising, social media, partnerships and nationwide roadshows.
Over a year they munch through 400 biscuits, 120 cakes and pastries, 100 portions of candies, 70 chocolate bars and 150 sugary juices or cans of pop.
But more recent data from 2003 to 2010 found that the number of calories from sugar-sweetened beverages declined significantly for almost all age groups of children, as measured by body weight, with significant declines in the number of calories from salty snacks among white children aged two to five and six to eleven. The free app can be downloaded from iTunes store or Google Play.
PHE is working with the food industry to cut 20% of sugar from the products children consume most by 2020.
- Airtel Broadband Users Can Avail Free Amazon Prime Membership for One Year
- Stifel Financial Corp Lowers Stake in Cheniere Energy, Inc. (NYSEAMERICAN:LNG)
- Near term Outlook For Oasis Petroleum Inc. (NYSE:OAS)
- Palestinian Authority Paid Terrorists Over $347 Million in 2017
- Investors Purchase High Volume of Symantec Call Options (NASDAQ:SYMC)
- Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (COG)
- HTC U11 EYEs Smartphone With Dual Selfie Cameras Leaked
- QI In Focus For Spirit Realty Capital, Inc. (NYSE:SRC)
- Cubist Systematic Strategies LLC Lowers Position in Penske Automotive Group, Inc. (PAG)
- Markets scale fresh highs again, Nifty nears 10700-mark