Iran has its own strategic goals in "finishing off" what remains from the opposition forces in Idlib. If Abu al-Duhur falls, the resistance-controlled Idlib province shall be cut in half, and its eastern more arid part could soon be fully captured by al-Assad's supporters, while its western half could end up under an increasingly severe siege. In 2014, a USA -led coalition began bombing ISIS and, as the Central Intelligence Agency scaled back support for rebels trying to oust Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, the Pentagon boosted support for the YPG and other Kurdish forces, which were grouped by the US with some Arab fighters to form the Syrian Democratic Forces in 2015.
The Russian-supported pro-al-Assad offensive is being executed under the pretext of hitting Salafist militant organizations like the former Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (originally founded under the name al-Nusra Front); although, government-connected sources both in Damascus and Moscow confirm other, more moderate Syrian opposition groups are also targeted.
Ankara has therefore called on Russian Federation and Iran, and rightly so, to cease and desist from their active and open aggression and military involvement in the fighting in the Idlib province and summoned their ambassadors in Ankara for this objective.
The Turkish FM also said Russian Federation and Iran, as guarantors for peaceful settlement, should fulfill their commitments and "stop Assad regime" which, according to the Turkish side, violates the security regime in Syria's Idlib.
Lavrov noted that Moscow and Tehran have reached an important stage in preparation for implementing the initiative launched by Russia, Iran and Turkey to organize the Sochi Congress.
In a rare experience United States diplomats go through in any host country, their Charge d;Affairs was summoned by Turkish foreign ministry in Ankara to express "discomfort" over Washington's support for Syrian Kurdish fighters on Wednesday. It has repeatedly condemned Washington's support for the YPG.
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan speaks during a meeting at the Presidential Palace in Ankara, Turkey, January 10, 2018.
The reports say that Syrian government forces, supported by Russian Federation were trying to regain control of areas controlled by Daesh and other rebel groups.
- NAACP calls for anti-Trump protest at College Football Championship
- Group promoting National Football League minority hiring questions Raiders' Jon Gurden hiring process
- United Continental (NYSE:UAL) Raised to "Buy" at Standpoint Research
- Stock Hold Signal: Tenet Healthcare Corp. (THC)
- Federica Brignone holds off stars in World Cup giant slalom
- Corey Feldman 'Under Investigation For Sexual Battery'
- La Corea del Nord quasi sicuramente parteciperà alle olimpiadi invernali
- Prime Minister will inaugurate National Youth Festival on 12 January
- 'Mad' Cow on runway causes havoc at Indian airport
- Seatown Holdings Pte. Ltd. Cuts Holdings in Amazon.com, Inc