Although the Proteas ended the day with a lead of 142 with eight wickets in the bank, they were looking at a first innings lead of close to 150 before the Indian all-rounder chose to take matters into his own hands.
Further joy was to come for the raucous Cape Town crowd as Morne Morkel removed captain and dangerman Kohli with his first ball, India closing on 28-3 and leaving Cheteshwar Pujara and Rohit Sharma with the sizeable task of rescuing their reply. Bhuvneshwar ended with 4 wickets as the Proteas were all out for a moderate total of 286.
In the only cricket since his injury, Steyn bowled 18 overs in five Twenty20 matches for his franchise, the Titans, as well as 12 overs in a low-key appearance for an Invitation XI against the touring Zimbabweans in December. We need more hard work but we will take it at the end of the day. None of the Indian batsmen managed to make a good start as the wickets kept falling at regular intervals.
Earlier, in India's first innings, all-rounder Hardik Pandya shone with the bat and the ball to help India stay afloat against the hosts yesterday. But the joy was short-lived as Vernon Philander sent back Pujara (26) off the first ball after lunch as he pitched one just on the off-stump and got it to move away quite a bit.
Two deliveries later edged to second slip‚ as did Bumrah with the next ball - which Faf du Plessis dived forward to catch.
The score read 76/5 as Pandya walked in to join Ashwin in the middle.
Seventeen balls after that Wriddhiman Saha was trapped in front by Steyn with what became his last strike of the day.
At one point, Bhuvneshwar's contribution was just 2 runs when their partnership reached 50.
Pandya hammered 93 with gusto in the first innings‚ but on Monday he was gone for a single when he edged Rabada to gully.
Virat Kohli was left with egg on his face after he gave Faf du Plessis an almighty send-off in the first South Africa-India Test. Quinton de Kock, trying to shake off a run of poor scores, took Bhuvneshwar for a hat-trick of boundaries, carving the ball through the off side easily.
- Manchester attack 'hero' Chris Parker admits stealing from victims
- Again, Pinnick Charges Home-Eagles On CHAN 2018
- Hospital patients need blood. Where are the donors?
- Swedbank Acquires 19024 Shares of Chevron Co. (CVX)
- Acuity Brands (AYI) Misses on Q1 Earnings and Revenues
- Disney announces new Star Wars: Rivals action shooter for Android and iOS
- Star linebacker JJ Peterson commits to Tennessee
- Nintendo's Switch becomes the fastest-selling system ever in the US
- Whetstone Capital Advisors LLC Increases Holding in Energy Transfer Equity LP (ETE)
- Analysts Recommendations EOG Resources, Inc. (EOG)