That's up from 82.3 the previous year, according to data released Wednesday by the state Department of Education.
The graduation rates were 81 percent in Broward County, 80.7 percent in Miami-Dade, 80.8 percent in Duval, 82.9 percent in Hillsborough, 84.7 percent in Orange and 82.9 percent in Pinellas.
"Graduation champions are everywhere in our schools and in our community - with bus drivers starting each morning, mechanics, custodians, student nutrition services employees, school security officers, front office staff, teachers, principals, district employees and countless community partners who provide resources, time and support for students", the district said. "These historically high graduation rates confirm that the work of the District's strategic plan is paying off".
The state-wide graduation rate for the 2016/17 school year was 82.3 percent.
Sarasota schools increased.3 percentage points to 85.7 while Polk schools rose to 75.4, an increase of 3.6 percentage points.
Graduation rates statewide have climbed steadily since 2010, when the state began incorporating the graduation rate into a high school's school grade.
"I am thrilled to celebrate our state's students and educators on this monumental accomplishment", Education Commissioner Pam Stewart said in a statement. Hawthorne High School, which must earn a C grade for this school year to remain open, saw an increase to 74%.
Still, state leaders touted the increase, Governor Rick Scott pointed to an increase of 23 percent since 2003-04, as a positive. That figure was 72.9 percent in Lee County. The rate reported by the state also includes students attending charter schools.
Federal regulations require each state to calculate graduation rates based on a four-year adjusted cohort, from freshman to senior year.
- SunCoke Energy (SXC) Shares Up 10.3%
- Rio Tinto plc (RIO) PT Raised to GBX 3800
- Three ways Utahns can fight FCC and restore net neutrality
- IndusInd Bank net rises 25%, vehicle finance to see 'boom'
- Prepaid Plans Now Give More Data And Longer Validity
- IV bag shortage deepens, local hospital supplies stretched thinner
- Dell Announces The New XPS 13 In The Run-up To CES 2018
- Ohio Republicans Floating Jim Tressel for Senate
- Protector asks Zuma to widen terms of inquiry into state capture
- Weather warning details heavy snow and ice threat