When police arrived, the hotel room was locked and a faint moaning was heard inside. The body of Flor de Maria Pineda, 37, was found dead on the floor of the room.
The San Luis Resort, Spa and Conference Center was the scene of a murder-suicide on Monday, police say.
The family checked in at the San Luis Resort around 7:00 p.m. on Sunday. Her husband, 39-year-old Mauricio Canas (seen below), and her 5-year-old son were found dead.
Schirard said the four people shot had been staying together in the room where the bodies were found.
Captain Joshua Schirard of the Galveston Police Department said the women and one of the children were "unresponsive but still appeared to be alive", Fox News noted.
Next-door neighbor Henry Davis told the paper that Pineda kept close watch over her two boys, Daniel and Mauricio Jr., who attended Victoria Walker Elementary as a kindergartner and fifth-grader, and another neighbor said the father would play with the kids in the front yard and watch them ride their scooters. They were from Baytown about 35 miles north of Galveston.
The Goose Creek ISD released a statement following the incident, stating that a student death could have a "ripple effect on a school community", and that it would hold additional counseling services at the school "out of concern for the students' classmates and the campus faculty".
Paul Schultz, the vice president of hospitality for Landry's Inc, which owns the resort, said: 'Our thoughts are with the victims and their family members during this hard time.
Schirard says another guest reported hearing a popping sound from a nearby room on the 8th floor and called the police.
We are fully cooperating with the Police Department during their investigation and will assist them in any way we can. "We are grieving for the loss of young life and its infinite possibilities and we pray for the family, friends and students most affected by this tragedy".
Police didn't immediately release further details.
Landry's Inc is owned by billionaire Tilman Fertitta.
- Cardinal Health Inc (CAH) Plans $0.46 Quarterly Dividend
- European bond trading volumes plunge as traders adjust to Mifid II
- Spain's Sainz wins Dakar Rally sixth stage
- Govt clears 49% FDI in Air India
- Challenges and Opportunities for Mattel, Inc. (MAT)
- What Does The Data Behind Exact Sciences Corporation (NASDAQ:EXAS) Suggest?
- Bank of America Initiates Coverage on Plains All American Pipeline (PAA)
- Seatown Holdings Pte. Ltd. Cuts Holdings in Amazon.com, Inc
- Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI)
- Turkey summons USA charge d'affaires over Syria: Turkish sources