Currently, as per rules for spectrum cap, no operator can have more than 25% of the total spectrum allocated in a circle and 50% in a given band. Earlier, Airtel had announced acquisition of Telenor and wireless assets of Tata Group.
Ratings agency ICRA said that the move to relax the current spectrum holdings cap would ease the consolidation transactions which are in advanced stages and the merging telcos would not have to surrender any spectrum where earlier they could have breached the cap limits.
TRAI had, in November, also recommended that the current cap of 50% on intra-band spectrum holding be removed, and instead be a cap of 50% on the combined spectrum holding in the sub-1 GHz bands (700 MHz, 800 MHz and 900 MHz bands). "We see the top-three operators, Bharti, Jio and Idea, gaining an aggregate 86% market share by March 2019 and over 95% of industry revenues by March 2021".
One telecom service provider submitted that while a number of consolidations are on-going in the telecom industry, it is essential to ensure that level playing field is not upset to address entity specific challenges with spectrum caps.
"The industry is undergoing structural changes with consolidation being at the forefront.Moreover, with growing data consumption, spectrum requirements would remain high and thus relaxing the spectrum cap is beneficial for the industry", Jagnani said. This move will further delay Arpu (average revenue per user) recovery.
The official said DoT will send drafts of the relief package cleared by the Telecom Commission based on the recommendations of an inter-ministerial panel to Cabinet this week for final approval.
The commission also extended the payments tenure for auctioned airwaves from 12 years to 16 years, and lowered the interest rate on penalties on outstanding dues of telcos from 14 per cent to 12 per cent.
- Manchester police looking for convenience store armed robbery suspect
- Ohio Republicans Floating Jim Tressel for Senate
- TiVo Is Getting Amazon Alexa And Google Assistant Integration
- Dell Announces The New XPS 13 In The Run-up To CES 2018
- Bella Thorne 'had no idea' about California mudslide before travel complaint
- Clippers dump Kings to cap NorCal sweep
- LeBron James Roasts Cleveland Browns In Spectacular Fashion After 0-16 Season
- India Seeking to Strengthen Defense Partnership With Israel - Foreign Office
- Catalyst among newsprint producers slapped with USA countervailing duties
- Giants have discussed Andrew McCutchen with Pirates