Ponting has been in discussion with Cricket Australia for some time now to address their historically poor record in limited over competition.
Since Lehmann's regular deputies - David Saker, Brad Haddin and former England batsman Graeme Hick - will be in South Africa to start preparations for the Baggy Greens' Test tour in March, women's head coach Matthew Mott and Troy Cooley, head of the national performance program, will join Ponting as assistant coaches.
"There is concern that players in the poorer or developing nations are not being paid sufficiently, and there needs to be transparency and accountability of where ICC funds are being spent by some member boards", it said.
The Australian team is weak in the shortest form of the game, failing to win a T20 World Cup from six attempts, with a world ranking of 7th.
There has been talk of Australia potentially splitting up the coaching roles, but while Ponting insisted that the position he has taken up is a temporary one, he didn't rule out the possibility of becoming the country's coach in Twenty20 Internationals.
The tri-series starts on February 7 in Australia before moving to New Zealand. "I loved working with the squad past year".
"Watching the [Big Bash League] in my role as a commentator has shown me we have a wealth of talent available to us in this format and a tri-series like this will give us a great chance to establish a pattern of play that works best for the players".
The appointment also comes at a time when uncertainty around who may be Australia's next head coach in all three formats reigns, with Lehmann announcing his intentions to stand down at the end of the 2019 Ashes.
"It's an exciting prospect for us, as coaches, to have the chance to take advantage of Ricky's T20 knowledge and, for the players, the chance to work with one of Australia's all-time greats will be just as exciting for them. So the chance to have this run of matches against two top sides in conditions we're set to face in two years, and for us to have Ricky as one of our backroom staff, is great news".
- Sluggish growth in BFSI drags TCS profit in third quarter
- 'Tully' Trailer: Charlize Theron is an Exhausted Mom Who Needs a Break
- Reliance Jio user base surges as rivals face tough time
- Thomas Bjorn already losing sleep over Ryder Cup captaincy
- Security tight for huge Catholic procession in Philippines
- Chelsea vs. Leicester City
- Jon Gruden Net Worth 2018: How Much Is Raiders HC Worth Now?
- The Black Eyed Peas Return With A Strong Message On "Street Livin'"
- Manx Telecom PLC 21.6% Potential Upside Indicated by Liberum Capital
- Alibaba to List in Hong Kong