The players of a newly-promoted Nigeria Professional Football League club, Kwara United FC, were on Wednesday involved in a ghastly accident on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
The Ilorin-based team had a great season in the Nigerian National League (NNL) last season, which ensured they got promotion to the NPFL for the new season. The Afonja warlords lost the match 4-2 on penalties after the regular time ended in a barren draw.
The team bus was badly damaged but no life was lost.
"Kwara United players and officials in the early hours of today were involved in a motor accident in Ibadan".
"The bus rammed into the stationary trailer in an attempt to avoid a speeding vehicle from the other end of the road. Since the bulk of the players needed to play the match were not injured, they should be able to play the match", he said.
Bibire said the remaining officials and players, who did not sustain injuries, were later conveyed by another vehicle to Ilorin.
"I want to thank God for our lives because the accident was more than the eyes could see".
- Iraqi Forces Capture ISIS Leader Who Executed Homosexuals
- Wi-Fi Alliance WPA3 Launch Improves Healthcare Network Security
- Syrian troops reach gates of key rebel-held air base
- Tamar Says She & Vince NOT Back Together - Eminem, The Weeknd Book Coachella
- Progress Software Corporation (NASDAQ:PRGS) Moves Into Potential Pullback Territory
- Drew Barker Says He Will Transfer For His Graduate Season
- Kohl's Holding On To Strong Gain After Upgrades
- Stock Price Performance Check (9.19%) on Agnico-Eagle Mines Ltd (AEM)
- Photographer Terry Richardson Under Investigation by NYPD for Sex Crimes
- Fire at French kosher market targeted by anti-Jewish vandals