The players of a newly-promoted Nigeria Professional Football League club, Kwara United FC, were on Wednesday involved in a ghastly accident on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
The Ilorin-based team had a great season in the Nigerian National League (NNL) last season, which ensured they got promotion to the NPFL for the new season. The Afonja warlords lost the match 4-2 on penalties after the regular time ended in a barren draw.
The team bus was badly damaged but no life was lost.
"Kwara United players and officials in the early hours of today were involved in a motor accident in Ibadan".
"The bus rammed into the stationary trailer in an attempt to avoid a speeding vehicle from the other end of the road. Since the bulk of the players needed to play the match were not injured, they should be able to play the match", he said.
Bibire said the remaining officials and players, who did not sustain injuries, were later conveyed by another vehicle to Ilorin.
"I want to thank God for our lives because the accident was more than the eyes could see".
- LG has made a 65-inch rollable OLED display
- Rahul Dravid Birthday: Twitterati Celebrate as 'The Wall' turns 45
- Kohl's Holding On To Strong Gain After Upgrades
- Emre Can's move from Liverpool to Juventus talked up by Germany teammate
- Dust, Not Aliens, Is Likely Cause of Star's Weird Dimming
- Theresa May to start shifting ministers in Cabinet reshuffle
- Microsoft unveils pre-order information on the Windows 10 GLAS thermostat
- East Hampshire MP Damian Hinds becomes Education Secretary
- Ethiopia to close notorious prison and free all political prisoners
- The New Bentley Bentayga V8 Features The World's Biggest Brakes