New Yorkers are being urged to get flu shots after a child died during this year's uptick in reported cases of the illness.
Wayne State has won both the inauguralAlana Yaksich National College and University Flu Vaccination Challenge and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services' (MDHHS) 2017-18 Michigan College and University Flu Vaccination Challenge for medium-sized schools. So far this season, there have been 1029 lab-confirmed cases.
A state of emergency has been issued in Alabama as the state health department reports significant increases in flu activity in many counties. Once a person is exposed to the flu, it may take a few days for symptoms to occur.
"If you feel that your symptoms are severe or life threatening, the things I would think about are - you have a very high fever that you're unable to control with normal measures like Tylenol or ibuprofen, or you're beginning to experience shortness of breath, extreme dizziness or feel like you are getting dehydrated, then I would strongly encourage you to either call 911 or get yourself to the nearest emergency room to be evaluated", said Mitchell.
Once again seniors, children and those with compromised immune systems were the most vulnerable to the flu.
Since flu season started - October 1 - the rate of hospitalizations has been 13.7 per 100,000 people in the U.S. The highest hospitalization rates are among people 65 and older (56.6 per 100,000), followed by adults 50-64 (15.4 per 100,000) and children younger than 5 (9.9 per 100,000), the CDC reported.
Along with the flu, doctors say they are also seeing an increase of Respiratory Syncytial Virus, or RSV, in adults.
It is not too late to get vaccinated this flu season. A recent study out of Australia, which recently wrapped up its flu season, showed that a similar vaccine wasn't all that useful there.
Flu vaccines will be available at each of Immunize El Paso's clinic locations along with outreach site scheduled through the next several weeks.
Avoid close contact. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
If you are sick with flu-like illness, the CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities.
Wash your hands often with soap and water.
Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.
- LG G7 May Bring Along LG Pay in the US
- Rain, wintry mix, possible snow and very cold temperatures in North Alabama
- Bitcoin Struggles as South Korean Ban Pushes Forward
- Cate Blanchett Is Officially Jury President of the 2018 Cannes Film Festival
- Even a bitcoin conference can't handle bitcoin payments
- Golden Knights respond to Army's opposition of team trademark
- YouTube star grovels after 'justifying paedophilia' and branding naked babies 'sexy'
- Baltimore bystander catches hospital staff dumping patient on the street
- Missouri Governor acknowledges affair, denies blackmail
- Author of Trump Book Says It's Not All True