A drug-sniffing dog quickly led police to the trunk of their vehicle, where most of the money was discovered inside of a duffel bag along with traces of marijuana.
The Jirons were arrested two counties over last month by deputies in with the York County Sheriff's Department.
The Lincoln Journal Star reports the 80-year-old Patrick Jiron and his 70-year-old wife were arrested Tuesday along Interstate-80 in northeast Nebraska. The deputy asked the driver, 42-year-old Mariah Jiron, to sit in his cruiser, the report said.
After court, Lincoln attorney John Berry, who represents Patrick Jiron in both cases, said he didn't know enough yet about the Lancaster County stop to comment further on it or how Jiron will plead. The couple was pulled over on Tuesday morning for tailgating after a sheriff's deputy determined that "reasonable, articulable suspicion was obtained that criminal activity was afoot".
Sheriff Terry Wagner said the couple was found in a vehicle with $18,000 cash and a duffel bag with marijuana residue on it.
Although officers did not discover a sizable amount of marijuana, Barbara and Patrick Jiron were charged with possession of money associated with manufacturing and delivering a controlled substance, a Class IV felony in Nebraska.
The Jirons, both of Clearlake Oaks, California, declined to comment Wednesday afternoon before a brief appearance in Lancaster County Court. The cash allegedly tested positive for marijuana residue.
Their son, Justin Jiron, is the chief deputy state's attorney for Chittenden County in Vermont.
They also found notes consistent with marijuana sales in the truck. The two allegedly told police they were headed for Vermont and meant to give the drugs as Christmas presents. On Dec. 19, they were arrested in York County, Nebraska, while traveling to Vermont with boxes of freshly cut, high-grade marijuana underneath their pickup topper. This time a female family member identified as Mariah Jiron was driving the vehicle. The couple signed what's known as an abandonment form stating they do not claim the money as their own, he said.
- Kevin Durant second-youngest player to reach 20000-point plateau
- (AWI) Position; Financial Counselors Has Cut Its Schlumberger LTD (SLB) Position
- Palestinian Authority Paid Terrorists Over $347 Million in 2017
- BSP MLA Mukhtar Ansari, wife suffers heart attack in UP jail, hospitalised
- Cubist Systematic Strategies LLC Lowers Position in Penske Automotive Group, Inc. (PAG)
- Airtel Broadband Users Can Avail Free Amazon Prime Membership for One Year
- Is Britney Spears Engaged to Sam Asghari?
- Stock Focus: Nippon Express (NPEXY) Lower -54.32% Over the Last Month
- Priyanka Chopra to return with "Quantico" on April 26
- UK says limit kids to 2 sugary snacks