Yannick Carrasco and Kevin Gameiro also got on the scoresheet for Atletico, which was without most of its regular starters. He was signed by Atletico last offseason but couldn't play until now because the Spanish club was temporarily banned by Federation Internationale de Football Association from registering new players. "I couldn't have asked for more in my debut in front of our fans".
Diego Godin and Fernando Torres scored in the first half.
Costa played because his one-match suspension for Saturday's red card only registers for La Liga.
That game marked Diego Costa's return to Atletico Madrid after a lengthy wait, due to the club's transfer ban, and he responded by scoring five minutes after his appearance off the bench.
Atletico's only defeat in the 12 matches they have played in their new stadium in all competitions came against Chelsea in the Champions League back in September and that is unlikely to change on Tuesday. Diego Costa starred for Diego Simeone's side, controlling the midfield.
'I have no doubt that Costa was the most important player that has played for Atletico in recent years, ' said the Argentinian.
- How Many The Navigators Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:NAVG)'s Analysts Are Bullish?
- Turkey summons USA charge d'affaires over Syria: Turkish sources
- Investors Buy Shares of Time Warner (TWX) on Weakness
- Surging Earnings Estimates Signal Good News for Anadarko Petroleum (APC)
- Livermore escapes FA sanction after fan bust-up
- Dana White opens up on one fight Conor McGregor wants 'really bad'
- LG Brings Google Assistant To ThinQ Smart TVs
- US Auto Sales Decline, Ending Record Streak
- La Corea del Nord quasi sicuramente parteciperà alle olimpiadi invernali
- Christian Bale was nearly in 'Solo