Prequalification of the vaccine by World Health Organization connotes that the vaccine meets acceptable standards of quality, safety, and efficacy. These advantages will allow for delivery through routine childhood immunization programs and better protection for younger children.
Hyderabad-based Bharat Biotech would shortly be sending another 2,00,000 doses of its Typbar TCV vaccine to Pakistan's Hyderabad province that has been battling for the past eight months a severe drug resistant version of the disease, which killed hundreds of children.
"SAGE also called for the introduction of TCV to be prioritised for countries with the highest burden of typhoid disease or of antibiotic resistance to Salmonella Typhi, the bacterium that causes the disease". Global estimates of the typhoid burden range between 11 and 20 million cases and between about 128 000 and 161 000 typhoid deaths annually.
Bharat Biotech has offered the vaccine at U.S. $1.50 per dose for procurement for GAVI-supported countries.
Typhoid disproportionately impacts children and adolescents, disrupting a child's education and affecting families' and communities' economic development and potential.
"Typhoid is hugely underdiagnosed and most people are not given appropriate treatment, leading to antimicrobial resistance (AMR)".
The Sabin Vaccine Institute's Coalition against Typhoid has led efforts to prevent typhoid and other invasive salmonelloses through research, education, and advocacy. Together, the Coalition and TyVAC are working to focus attention on typhoid and the need for typhoid conjugate vaccines, and improved water, sanitation, and hygiene interventions to reduce the burden and impact of typhoid fever.
Typhoid vaccine is available in pills or a shot and is only 50%-80% effective, says the CDC.
Photo A volunteer, Matthew Speight, drinking a solution containing typhoid during a vaccine trial at Oxford University previous year. This enables the procurement and supplies to UNICEF, Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO) and GAVI supported countries. "Recognising the importance of sustained vaccine procurement for low-income and low-middle income countries, we have offered a further price reduction to around $ 1.0 or below/dose, post procurement of 100 million doses for lower and lower-middle income countries", said Dr Krishna Ella, Chairman and Managing Director of Bharat Biotech.
- Nickelodeon, WWE star John Cena team on multiple projects
- Kinder Morgan Inc Stock as Institutional Investors Exit
- Novo Nordisk revises up offer for Ablynx to $3.1 billion
- Can Marcus Mariota Run Tennessee Titans Past Kansas City Chiefs?
- Karnataka, Andhra, TN cruise in Syed Musthaq Ali T20 Trophy
- Comerica Incorporated (CMA) Shares Bought by Dimensional Fund Advisors LP
- Peel Hunt Reaffirms "Buy" Rating for Nostrum Oil & Gas (LON:NOG)
- Have Arsenal moved on from Liverpool target Thomas Lemar?
- Valley National Bancorp (VLY) Receives Buy Rating from Keefe, Bruyette & Woods
- Oprah Winfrey 'actively considering' running for President