"Our GPUs are immune, they're not affected by these security issues", Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang said in comments noted by TechCrunch. CPUs are used on personal computers, smartphones, servers and other devices.
The confirmation that GPUs are not subject to the Spectre flaw, and that the GFE security bulletin was simply a release which follows researchers recommendations that individual software packages be recompiled with protections against exploitation through the CPU's vulnerability, has reassured investors: Nvidia's share price has recovered from its dip, closing 0.78 percent up for the day.
The issue appears to be caused by the Linux kernel version 4.4.0-108 shipped as part of the Ubuntu update process.
"We previously said that we expected our performance impact should not be significant for average computer users, and the data we are sharing today support that expectation on these platforms", he writes in the company blog.
While the full extent of devices affected by the flaws is not yet fully known, Cisco Systems has said it has identified 18 vulnerable products and is looking for problems in almost 30 other products, including switches and routers. Advanced Micro also makes graphics chips.
Intel and AMD have not disclosed the number of chips affected by the security flaws and AMD has said its products were at "zero risk" from Meltdown.
Nvidia's latest batch of security fixes are targeted specifically at the software drivers that for graphics cards that run under third parties' operating systems, particularly Microsoft Windows. There have also been predictions, anecdotes and benchmarks that suggest Meltdown patches are causing performance issues, despite Intel insistence that the impact is small. Intel shares fell 2.5 per cent, while AMD, which investors speculate will benefit from its rivals' problems, gained 1.2 per cent.
- Feinstein Releases Fusion Founder Transcript; Dossier Author Feared Trump Blackmailed
- Giant ice cream products were recalled
- High on viagra, this man strolled naked through Phuket airport spreading faeces
- Rocky Horror producer 'sorry McLachlan accusers didn't tell them'
- Top Fox News DC Reporter James Rosen Left Network After Harassment Claims
- Hsbc Holdings PLC Cuts Position in Sears Holdings Corporation (SHLD)
- YouTube Finally Issues Response to Logan Paul Controversy
- Some Christian Celebrities Praise Oprah After Golden Globes Speech, Presidential Rumors
- Darkest Dungeon Heading to Switch Next Week
- Woman returns dead Christmas tree to Costco - in January