Five-time Ballon d'Or victor Cristiano Ronaldo, now 32 years old, has struggled to hit his lofty standards of form so far this season for Real Madrid and he comes in a surprisingly low 49th position, valued at €80 million (£71.29 million).
Only last month Ronaldo won a fifth career Ballon d'Or award, while he also took the FIFA Best Player prize and UEFA player of the year award during a year in which he was easily the most decisive player as Madrid won five trophies including the Champions League and La Liga.
The CIES Football Observatory has published its annual rankings of how much players in the top five European leagues - the Premier League, La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A and the Bundesliga - are worth, based on factors including age, position, contract duration, performance and worldwide status.
The 32-year-old is behind Manchester United's Anthony Martial and Manchester City's Nicolas Otamendi in the table and one place ahead of Monaco's Fabinho.
Interestingly, Cristiano Ronaldo is down in 49th place, valued at around £71m, as he approaches his 33rd birthday. Whereas, Paul Pogba is tenth in the list. Age: 25 Club: Paris Saint-Germain Neymar moved to Paris Saint-Germain as the world's most expensive player. The usual factors such as age, contract length, position, performance etc have been taken into account to produce the figures, with players from the Premier League making up exactly half of the top 10.
According to data from the CIES Football Observatory, the new Barca forward comes in only 16th, valued at £109m.
Who exactly is now the most valuable footballer in the world?
The list, published every January, ranks Neymar top, with a value of €213million, or £188million, while Messi trails in second, worth €202.2m (£178.5m).
- Theresa May appoints new housing minister
- Apple admitted that iPhone, iPad and Mac are affected by security gaps
- Morgan Stanley Sees Solid Upside For Oracle Corporation (ORCL)
- Warm Wednesday, then cold front enters Topeka area, with snow expected overnight
- Zuma, the mysterious USA spy spacecraft launched by SpaceX, is probably destroyed
- Kasur rape case is a huge test for courts as well
- 'Black Panther' Becomes Fandango's Top Early Pre-Seller Among Marvel Movies
- Matt Patricia prefers Giants' job over Lions'
- Oprah Winfrey 'thinking' about running for president
- Dominic West, David Oyelowo, Lily Collins Join Six Part BBC/Masterpiece LES MISERABLES