The NSE Nifty opened higher at 10,469.40 and moved in a range of 10,513 and 10,441.45 before finishing at 10,504.80, up 61.60 points, or 0.59 per cent, from its previous close. The stock of IDFC Bank closed at Rs. 58.35 per share, up 6.97 per cent, South Indian Bank closed at Rs. 32.90 per share, up 5.11 per cent, Yes Bank closed at Rs. 332.90 per share, up 4.98 per cent, RBL Bank closed at Rs. 540.50 per share, up 4.46 per cent.
Among the sectoral indices, metal climbed 2.77 per cent, consumer durables 2.53 per cent, capital goods 2.11 per cent, PSU 1.55 per cent, infrastructure 1.03 per cent, healthcare 0.99 per cent, oil and gas 0.80 per cent, bankex 0.51 per cent and power 0.33 per cent.
Turnover in the cash segment rose to Rs 36,892.63 crore from Rs 33,291.76 crore as on Wednesday.
YES Bank, Adani Ports, Tata Steel, Eicher Motors and Tata Consultancy Services were among the top gainers in the Nifty50 stocks.
"Nifty touched record highs in intra day trade".
Banking behemoth SBI rallied 0.83 per cent while Punjab National Bank gained 1.50 per cent. Bank of Baroda also gained 0.67 per cent.
The finance ministry today sought Parliament's nod for extra expenditure of Rs 80,000 crore towards recapitalisation of bad loans-saddled public sector banks through bonds.
As per provisional data, foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) bought shares worth Rs 212.05 crore, while domestic institutional investors (DIIs) made purchases worth Rs 325.24 crore yesterday.
Among other Asian markets, Japan's Nikkei was trading higher by 0.18 per cent, while Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.51 per cent in their early deals. The MSCI index was about 1 per cent off the all-time peak it hit in November 2007 of 591.5.
Markets on Friday opened higher with the benchmark BSE Sensex rising above 100 points to cross the psychological 34,000-mark on strong global cues.
The gauge had lost 263.45 points in the previous three sessions.
- Environment Canada issues extreme cold warning for Toronto
- Manchester United overcome Derby County in FA Cup
- Ripple slides after Coinbase says not adding new crypto coins
- Tech giants prep for legal fight against FCC's rule repeal
- Google says phones, tablets also affected by newly discovered security issue
- Zara Tindall: Queen's granddaughter pregnant with second child
- Republican wins lottery-style drawing for control of Virginia statehouse
- North Korea: South seizes ship amid row over unlawful oil switch
- Louisville QB Lamar Jackson announces he will enter 2018 NFL Draft
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Spinoff 'Mayans MC' to Premiere on FX Mid-Year