Friday, 19 July 2019
Latest news
Main » 'Crohn's disease' patient had Heinz sachet in gut

'Crohn's disease' patient had Heinz sachet in gut

05 January 2018

At first, she thought it was Crohn's disease but it was actually two packets of ketchup left inside her stomach that's causing her trouble. When her symptoms worsened in 2012, she was admitted with "acute small bowel obstruction".

Doctors at Heatherwood and Wexham Park Hospital in Slough said that the perforated edges of the packet, meant to make it easier to open, had actually cut into the lining of her stomach. Upon closer inspection, they turned out to be pieces of a 6-year-old sachet of Heinz tomato sauce. The plastic appeared to come from a sauce sachet and it had caused an inflamed mass to develop in her small intestine.

"The mass was mobilized where it was found to contain two pieces of plastic bearing the word "Heinz" on them", the report stated, as reported by the New York Daily News.

Once the packet was removed, her symptoms disappeared nearly immediately, and five months after the surgery they have entirely vanished. After administering tests, doctors concluded that her symptoms were consistent with Crohn's disease. There had been four other similar incidents in the past, but in all of those cases the ingested object was a toothpick.

"It is important to consider alternative surgical diagnoses in patients with presumed Crohn's disease unresponsive to standard treatment", the authors write in the British Medical Journal.

She had no memory of consuming a meal involving the product found perforating the wall of her gut.

A 41-year-old woman is finally free of chronic pain after six years of unsuccessful treatment.

Doctors have said it is the first time ingested plastic packaging has mimicked the symptoms of Crohn's disease, according to the British Medical Journal (BMJ).

'Crohn's disease' patient had Heinz sachet in gut