Koppal: Union minister Ananth Kumar Hegde has hinted that Constitution which contained the word "secular" would be amended.
He urged the people to identify with their religion or caste and said, "I will bow to you, you are aware of your blood".
He also said while he respected the Constitution, "it will be changed in the days to come".
Hegde was at a function in North Karnataka's Koppal district where he claimed, "We (BJP) will soon change the Constitution, which mentions the word "secular". "But trouble will arise if they say they are secular", he said.
"The BJP-RSS school of thought is engrained in bigotry, hate, divisiveness and prejudices that envision a monolithic culture".
In March 2016, Hegde had to issue a clarification after his controversial remark - "As long as there is Islam in this world there will be terrorism". It sparked condemnation from chief minister Siddaramaiah of the Congress, who said the BJP leader does not know parliamentary or political language. "However Hegde is making statements that can cause unrest in the society", he alleged. He was first elected to Lok Sabha in 1996 and has been re-elected five times from the constituency. "It is impossible to turn a secular country like India into a Hindu Rashtra", Siddaramaiah was quoted by Deccan Herald.
"Their remarks have not only denigrated and demolished the values, principles and the soul of the Constitution but has also exposed their "false love" for Babasaheb Ambedkar which they keep propagating to win votes", he said. "All religions have to be treated equally", he said speaking to The Hindu.
"Any maleficence attempt to modify this by the BJPRSS will be fought by the Congress Party with all its might", he said. Mr. Hegde doesn't deserve to continue as Minister. "It again goes against the spirit of the Constitution and its ideals", Mr Gogoi said.
Well-known "rationalist" scholar K.S. Bhagawan, who has received death threats for questioning Hindu beliefs, too demanded that Hegde be sacked for "insulting the Constitution".
"Will Shri Modi take cognisance of this fact and drop him from the Gujarat Government's Cabinet?"
- Pop Star Lorde Drops Planned Israeli Concert After Criticism
- Winter weather causes travel trouble at Logan Airport
- Area mourns as two men die following a crash in County Mayo
- Why Anthony Martial misses Manchester United's game with Burnley
- Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma's Mumbai reception: All you need to know!
- Sound of Music actress Heather Menzies-Urich dies at 68
- Equity indices at new highs, Sensex closes above 34000
- Top Jaish commander Noor Trali killed in Samboora gunfight
- Officer injured after shootout with suspect at Phoenix apartment complex
- Apple Sued After Admitting to Slowing Down Older iPhones