A tractor trailer hit the school bus from behind and caused the bus to roll over on its side.
The school bus was stopped to allow students to get onboard, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. At the same time, a tractor-trailer was traveling north on U.S. 27 in the right lane, some distance behind the bus. Three other students and the bus driver were taken to another area hospital with non-incapacitating injuries, according to the report.
Doctors from Florida Hospital Lake Placid say they treated 20 patients from the bus crash with injuries that were not considered life-threatening.
Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast rewritten or redistributed
Stanley Lockwood, 45, of Orlando, did not stop his vehicle in time and rear-ended the school bus, FHP Lt. Gregory Bueno said. Twenty-two students and the bus driver were transported to local hospitals.
A staging area for parents has been set up at the Winn Dixie parking lot on CR 29.
Lockwood faces a careless-driving charge, Bueno said.
- Katie Taylor V Jessica McCaskill
- Senator Grassley expresses reservations on two Trump judge nominees
- U.S. demands release of Reuters reporters detained in Myanmar
- Gundogan: City Are Yet To Win Anything
- Merriam-Webster Reveals Its Top 10 Words of the Year
- Congress Ignores Trump's Iran Deal Deadline
- Putin criticizes U.S. move on Jerusalem
- Explosion in New York Bus Terminal, One in Custody, Others Injured
- Gold in holding pattern ahead of Fed rate decision
- Does Tidal have only six months to live