United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said Thursday that Security Council members must unite to denuclearize North Korea, warning that the worst case scenario would be "sleepwalking" into war.
The White House said Wednesday that no negotiations could be held with North Korea until it improves its behaviour.
Hope for dialogue to defuse tension over North Korea's weapons was kindled last week when United Nations political affairs chief Jeffrey Feltman made a rare visit there, the highest level engagement by a United Nations official with North Korea since 2012.
Abe, however, reiterated that the Tokyo government does not wish for any conflict on the Korean Peninsula.
U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, left, speaks as Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe listens during their joint news conference at Abe's official residence in Tokyo Thursday, Dec. 14, 2017. "But I think the message was clear, and the message was delivered".
Japanese police said December 14 they had carried out several raids, reportedly in connection to alleged shipments of food to North Korea that would contravene sanctions. "And the message was conveyed", Guterres said, adding that in addition to Security Council resolutions, "there must be a sense of urgency in creating the conditions for meaningful dialogue to achieve denuclearization".
"We fully agreed that the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula is indispensable for the peace and stability of the region", Abe said.
The U.N. secretary general calls for full implementation of global sanctions against North Korea.
"It was a special game for us - special for the players and for the country", North Korea coach Jorn Andersen told reporters afterwards.
Japan has insisted that now is the time to keep up maximum pressure on Pyongyang, not start talks on the North's missile and nuclear programmes.
Suga, Japan's top government spokesman, said this was a stance they had previously affirmed.
- Omarosa Manigault dismisses reports of dramatic firing
- Injustice™2 Announces Free Trial for PlayStation®4 and Xbox One Players
- Fiat Punto scores first-ever zero-star Euro NCAP safety rating
- OnePlus 5T Star Wars Limited Edition Debuts In India At $607
- Packers' Rodgers says he's been medically cleared to return
- Gas supply from Austrian gas hub back to normal after deadly blast
- Pep Guardiola praises Man City's "animals"
- MIT Engineers Have Developed Plants That Glow In the Dark
- AC Milan coach Gattuso defends Donnarumma after fans criticism
- Britain First deputy leader in NI court on hate speech charges