Patole has been making his displeasure known at the state government's policies over the last few months, referring particularly to the online application procedure for the loan-waiver scheme which, he said, was causing hardship to farmers. "I made a decision to quit the post and party because I was deeply anguished and felt let down by the party", Patole told the media shortly after.
Patole, who joined the BJP in 2008 after ditching Congress, extended his support to senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha in his agitation for farmers. Patole, a three-time MLA from Sakoli in Bhandara district, had left the Congress ahead of the 2014 Lok Sabha elections and joined the BJP, defeating senior NCP leader and former Union minister Praful Patel by a margin of 1.5 lakh votes for the Bhandara-Gondia Lok Sabha seat. In his resignation letter, he cited 14 issues related to agriculture, economy and unemployment as reasons for his resignation and specifically said that demonetization and GST. He assiduously raised issues of agrarian distress in Vidarbha which has witnessed a spurt in farmers' suicides.
If sources are to be believed, Patole wanted BJP to give him lucrative posts in the party, but nothing of that sort happened.
Asked if he would return to the Congress, Patole said he would seek the opinion of the people of his constituency.
In a telephonic interview from New Delhi, Patole told DNA, "I was not keen on continuing as MP to just warm up the chair".
Patole said that he had raised these issues in the Lok Sabha as well as in meetings with the prime minister. They are functioning arbitrarily, with their ears and eyes closed. Deshmukh said that he has spoken to BJP public representative but not a single person is in favour of him. I will soon start a state-wide tour. However, he made it clear that he was not joining any political party at this juncture.
"Modi, during the Lok Sabha campaign, had assured that he would implement the MS Swaminathan Commission report, but it has not happened yet", he said. There has been little action to curb them. Ever since this government came to power, it has been misleading people.
Patole said his anger was directed at the state and central governments. "Besides, the State did not resolve the issue of scholarship for OBC students and those from backward classes", he added.
- Israeli warplanes hit targets in Gaza Strip after rockets
- N. Korea says it doesn't want war -- but won't avoid one
- 'Outstanding' Liverpool will be hard to handle - Sam Allardyce
- YouTube Reportedly Launching A New Music Subscription Service in March 2018
- Here is all about on Gujarat Assembly polls 2017, read FAQs
- California's wildfires are massive-even when seen from space
- Death of a Salesman Actress Accuses Dustin Hoffman of Sexual Harassment
- Natalie Nougayrede: We need to plan for Russian Federation after Putin
- White House says United States will take part in Winter Olympics
- What Sen. Franken's Resignation Means For The State