The Israeli military said two rockets were launched toward Israel, but fell short of their intended destination and landed inside Gaza.
The rockets came amid rising tensions in Gaza and the West Bank following U.S. President Trump's announcement that the U.S. recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
Gaza residents said there were no casualties from the Israeli attack and that two unmanned lookout posts were hit.
Two rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip Thursday afternoon, according to another IDF statement.
Israeli sources claimed the army fired the missiles and shells "in response to a shell" that was reportedly fired from Gaza, causing no damage or injuries.
Dozens of Palestinians in Gaza also staged violent protests along the security fence surrounding the coastal enclave, throwing rocks and rolling burning tires at the barrier and the Israeli soldiers on the other side.
On Wednesday, Trump announced the relocation of the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem - a move which drew numerous negative reactions from Muslim communities around the world.
The Palestinian Authority called for a general strike in Palestinian cities as a result of Trump's declaration, while Hamas has taken a harder line and is advocating for a new Palestinian uprising.
While Israel has always considered Jerusalem its capital, with the prime minister's office and parliament building located there, countries have avoided recognizing it as such to prevent damaging hopes for a two-state solution.
- In Amritsar, London Mayor says time for British to apologise for Jallianwala
- Serena 'very likely' to make comeback at Australian Open
- Lookman's back! Ademola nets brace against Apollon Limassol
- NBA Trade: Sixers reportedly send Jahlil Okafor, Stauskas to Nets for Booker
- Nissan planning self driving trial in March
- What colleagues think about Matt Lauer after sexual assault allegations
- Starbucks Launches New Christmas Tree Frappuccino For The Holiday Season
- Mozilla And Yahoo Sue Each Other Over Search Engine Deal
- Analysts See $3.92 EPS for Broadcom Limited (AVGO)
- Is Amazon the Best Stock on the NASDAQ?