Move over, Daniel Cormier.
Swiftly, Miocic fired off a tweet reminding the 31-year old Ngannou who is the current UFC heavyweight champion. Miocic has defended his title twice since defeating then-champion Fabricio Werdum via first-round knockout at UFC 198 in May 2016. On Wednesday, MMA Junkie first reported that a hotly anticipated clash between heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic and the risky Francis Ngannou was being targeted to top the card.
This would mark just the fourth time in UFC history that the heavyweight and light heavyweight titles would be at stake on the same card. UFC 220 appears to have a new main event. In his last bout, he stiffened Alistair Overeem in the first round with a thunderous left hand.
A victor of five consecutive fights, including two title defenses, Miocic has run through numerous top contenders at heavyweight, but now he'll be facing one of the best prospects to join the roster in several years.
At Sportsbet, Ngannou is paying $1.62, with Miocic at $2.31. Overall, he's 11-2 in the UFC.
UFC commentator Joe Rogan was there in Detroit for UFC 218 and saw Ngannou's ferocious KO cageside and spoke with Bellator heavyweight Justin Wren about the potential of the native of Cameroon on Rogan's JRE MMA Show podcast.
Adding to his marketability is a rags-to-riches story, his humble giant nature, and the fact that he recently set a record for punching power.
In short: don't bet on the UFC 220 main event going five rounds. The card takes place inside the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts on January 20.
- Lookman's back! Ademola nets brace against Apollon Limassol
- Is Amazon the Best Stock on the NASDAQ?
- Tredje AP fonden Has $1.79 Million Stake in Dollar General Corp. (DG)
- Taylor Swift sent damages by DJ
- Nike to name New Headquarters Building After Serena Williams
- In Amritsar, London Mayor says time for British to apologise for Jallianwala
- Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ:ATVI) Undervalued by 15%
- David Cassidy cut daughter Katie Cassidy out of his will
- Serena 'very likely' to make comeback at Australian Open
- Delta Flight's Bathrooms Fill Up, Pilot Makes Emergency Pit Stop for Passengers