Move over, Daniel Cormier.
Swiftly, Miocic fired off a tweet reminding the 31-year old Ngannou who is the current UFC heavyweight champion. Miocic has defended his title twice since defeating then-champion Fabricio Werdum via first-round knockout at UFC 198 in May 2016. On Wednesday, MMA Junkie first reported that a hotly anticipated clash between heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic and the risky Francis Ngannou was being targeted to top the card.
This would mark just the fourth time in UFC history that the heavyweight and light heavyweight titles would be at stake on the same card. UFC 220 appears to have a new main event. In his last bout, he stiffened Alistair Overeem in the first round with a thunderous left hand.
A victor of five consecutive fights, including two title defenses, Miocic has run through numerous top contenders at heavyweight, but now he'll be facing one of the best prospects to join the roster in several years.
At Sportsbet, Ngannou is paying $1.62, with Miocic at $2.31. Overall, he's 11-2 in the UFC.
UFC commentator Joe Rogan was there in Detroit for UFC 218 and saw Ngannou's ferocious KO cageside and spoke with Bellator heavyweight Justin Wren about the potential of the native of Cameroon on Rogan's JRE MMA Show podcast.
Adding to his marketability is a rags-to-riches story, his humble giant nature, and the fact that he recently set a record for punching power.
In short: don't bet on the UFC 220 main event going five rounds. The card takes place inside the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts on January 20.
- Starbucks Launches New Christmas Tree Frappuccino For The Holiday Season
- Taylor Swift sent damages by DJ
- Serena 'very likely' to make comeback at Australian Open
- Airtel partners with Intex for Rs.1649-smartphone
- Simmba: Ranveer Singh to play quirky cop in KJo-Rohit Shetty collaboration
- Burnley's Brady out for 'substantial' period due to knee injury
- Remembering Pearl Harbor 76 years later
- Analysts See $3.92 EPS for Broadcom Limited (AVGO)
- Two rockets fired on Israel land in Gaza
- Nigeria Army replaces Commander Operation Lafiya Dole