Benchmark BSE Sensex reclaims 33,000-mark at the start of trading Friday, after buying by retail investors and domestic institutions gathered momentum amid strong global cues. The gauge had rallied 352.03 points on Thursday. Sensex zoomed 146 points or 0.45% to 33,096.10 while the wider Nifty was up by over 39 points or 0.38% to 10,205.70.
On Wednesday, the key indices were dragged lower by interest-rate sensitive stocks like banking, metals and capital goods. In the pre-opening session, Sensex was flat while the wider Nifty traded above 10,050 level.
Meanwhile, foreign portfolio investors offloaded shares worth net Rs 333.59 crore, while domestic institutional investors (DIIs) bought shares to the tune of Rs 776.18 crore on Tuesday, as per provisional data.
Indian shares look set to extend gains from the previous session on Friday as oil dipped on a stronger dollar and Asian markets climbed for a second day running, buoyed by a weaker yen and optimism for the passage of the USA tax bill through the Senate.
Tata Steel (+3.3%), Hindalco (+2.7%), Vedanta (+2.5%), Maruti (+4.4%) and UltraTech (+2.4%) were the top gainers on Nifty50.
The NSE Nifty too rose 60.65 points, or 0.59%, at 10,227.35 in early trade Friday.
Japan's Nikkei 225 was trading in green, up by 1.14 per cent, Hang Seng up by 0.94 per cent while South Korea's Kospi was up by 0.26 per cent. Shanghai Composite, however, shed 0.08%.
United States stocks closed higher yesterday, with the S&P 500 snapping a four-session losing streak on the back of gains in technology, industrials and materials sectors.
- Baker Mayfield wins Walter Camp Football Player of the Year Award
- Jeff Goldblum, Chris Pratt - and raptor Blue
- Bayonetta 3 revealed exclusively for Nintendo Switch
- World War Z Video Game Adaptation Fights Off Zombies
- YouTube to launch a new Spotify rival, codenamed 'Remix', in 2018
- Rio Ferdinand backs 'manipulator' Philippe Coutinho to complete £140m Liverpool exit
- Everything We Know About The Champions' Ballad
- Mark Your Calendars for a Superb Geminid Meteor Shower
- Superman Had Another Iconic Costume In Justice League Deleted Scene
- Post Bryan Singer's firing, 'Bohemian Rhapsody' gets new director