Residents and fire officials were still bracing for more fire.
Ventura County Sheriff's Sgt. Kevin Donoghue said officials found the body of a woman near the site of a auto crash within the Thomas Fire area, though her cause of death was unclear. The brush fire broke out just before 11:20 a.m. on Thursday off of I-15 near Hwy 76.
Mandatory evacuations were ordered in the area of West Lilac Road and Sullivan Middle School. It was 10 percent contained.
Nakatani said four fire trucks were on the property in an effort to salvage other buildings, such as barns and dormitories.
Fire officials tried to prevent the blaze from jumping the 405 Freeway toward the Getty Center.
In a twitter post, the San Diego Public Affairs Bureau said Cal Fire was working with local military operations to secure helicopters to aid in fighting the fire. As of 2:35 p.m., it was 1,000 acres in size with zero containment.
"These are the kind of conditions that keep public safety officials up at night", Janet Upton, deputy director of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, said.
The fire in north San Diego County, dubbed the Lilac Fire, forced numerous evacuations among private horse owners in previous days and had reached an estimated 100-150 acres as of Thursday afternoon, prompting Del Mar and Fairplex to open the doors of their stable gates to displaced horses.
"Emergency evacuation happened nearly immediately and at this time, we are doing all we can but it's extremely hard", the post stated. There have been massive fires in Los Angeles and Ventura counties in the last 48 hours that have burned more than 120,000 acres and are not under control. Southern California horsemen need it right now.
- Will These Stocks Remain Hot? Gilead Sciences, Inc. (GILD), LendingClub Corporation (LC)
- US Health Care Spending Decreases in 2016
- David Cassidy cut daughter Katie Cassidy out of his will
- Delhi govt finds Max Hospital guilty in infant death case
- Saudi Crown Prince Was Behind Record Bid for a Leonardo
- Conservative Arizona Rep. Trent Franks resigning
- Serena 'very likely' to make comeback at Australian Open
- 'Creek Fire' burns 4000 acres above Sylmar and prompts evacuations
- Tredje AP fonden Has $1.79 Million Stake in Dollar General Corp. (DG)
- House passes spending bill, first step in avoiding government shutdown