Not because Smith isn't a good fit for the project or that he's a particularly bad writer, but that it'll be the first time that QT will be potentially directing a film that he himself didn't write. Seemingly gone are the talks of an alleged continuation that would have seen Chris Hemsworth return as Captain Kirk's long-dead father; instead, we now have utterly weird ideas like this one floating around the Trek universe - one that operates in uncertain times, at least on the silver screen.
Deadline reported earlier this week that Quentin Tarantino had pitched a Star Trek film to JJ Abrams and Paramount. Well, the gist of it is that the Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction filmmaker has essentially come up with a fantastic idea that has blown the socks off current Star Trek series producer J.J. Abrams, so much so that the filmmaker immediately assembled a writer's room to get those ideas down. The exception to this rule was Fox's Deadpool, but that film started out with modest ambitions before it caught on and became the biggest R rated film ever.
This isn't a dealbreaker, and there's still a lot of fun to be had with modern Star Trek.
Movie studios typically see R ratings as a drag on ticket sales because they exclude teenagers, which is why movies in tent pole franchises like "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" are nearly universally rated PG or PG-13. Smith is reportedly the front-runner for the job of penning the first draft of what would be the next Star Trek movie.
It will be interesting to see if this iteration gets made.
According to a new Deadline Hollywood report, the Hateful Eight and Pulp Fiction filmmaker's proposed Star Trek movie is meant to be rated R, which would mark a first for the Paramount Pictures franchise and a rarity in the realm of big-budget tentpole movies.
- A Long Look At Death Stranding, Which Is Still Weird As Hell
- National Hockey League gives Seattle green light to apply for franchise
- World War Z Video Game Adaptation Fights Off Zombies
- Anonymous donor drops $10k in Salvation Army kettle
- Superman Had Another Iconic Costume In Justice League Deleted Scene
- Everything We Know About The Champions' Ballad
- Watch the first trailer for PUBG's new Miramar desert map
- Anushka leaves for Italy with family amid wedding rumors
- China, Russia Stage Drills to Counter S.Korea-US Exercise
- YouTube to launch a new Spotify rival, codenamed 'Remix', in 2018