The Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Attahiru Ibrahim, has been removed from that position.
The shake-up underscores the fragility of the security situation in the Northeast, where the conflict with Boko Haram insurgents is in the ninth year, despite assertions by President Muhammadu Buhari's administration that it is on its last leg.
Also media analysts, who view the transfer in the light of his performance in the theatre command told journalists that, his predecessor, Major General Lucky Irabor has left a big shoe that would take an extra effort by any General posted to carry.
Some of the most recent cases were the ambush in Magumeri that caused the death of about 19 soldiers and kidnap of some oil explorers.
Borno State Governor Ibrahim Shettima said the government's long-term plan is to corral civilians in fortified garrison towns - effectively ceding the countryside to Boko Haram.
Attahiru's sacking comes as Boko Haram steps up attacks in the northeast of the country, the latest being a suicide bombing at a mosque in Adamawa State which killed some 50 worshippers.
About two weeks ago, the Chief of Defence Staff, Gabriel Olonisakin, paid a sudden visit to the Command and Control Centre in Maiduguri.
Nicholas was the Chief of Logistics at the Army Headquarters in Abuja before his appointment.
It was learnt that Ibrahim has been redeployed to the army headquarters, Abuja.
- Nike to name New Headquarters Building After Serena Williams
- Airtel partners with Intex for Rs.1649-smartphone
- Rep. John Lewis boycotting MS civil rights museum due to Trump's attendance
- Is Amazon the Best Stock on the NASDAQ?
- Analysts See $3.92 EPS for Broadcom Limited (AVGO)
- Serena 'very likely' to make comeback at Australian Open
- Tredje AP fonden Has $1.79 Million Stake in Dollar General Corp. (DG)
- Thieves Rob R. Kelly's Atlanta-Area Home Dry
- Nissan planning self driving trial in March
- Iraq Summons US Ambassador over Jerusalem Decision