Next Wednesday's Geminid Meteor shower is expected to be a brilliant, burning light show. The 2017 Geminids meteor shower will soon be heres - no telescope or binoculars required.
Why is this year so favorable for the Geminids?
But, as always, the best recommendation is to get somewhere truly dark if you can.On Wednesday night, head to an open space without anything blocking your view of the sky, and look up. The meteors emanate from the Gemini constellation - hence the name - and this year, we're in for a particularly dazzling show. The thin crescent Moon does not rise until 3:57 a.m. Thursday and will not interfere with the meteor shower.
On the 13th will have the opportunity to make a number of wishes during the night of the meteor shower - meteor shower Geminids is about 60- 120 "stars" per hour will pass through the constellation of Gemini. Although many people concentrate on the constellation Gemini, you should watch all parts of the sky for Geminids meteors.
With the moon but a slender wisp conditions could hardly be better for this year’s premier shower
The Geminids stand apart from these other events, though. But the climax of the shower this year is predicted to occur about 1 a.m. December 14 - which is only one hour before the radiant in Gemini is highest for observers in the eastern U.S. So next week, Wednesday evening to Thursday dawn, should provide the very best numbers.
With the moon but a slender wisp, conditions could hardly be better for this year's premier shower. That being said, you'll have to temper your expectations according to where you live; the light pollution in cities can impede visibility considerably, with numbers dwindling to around 10-15 per hour.
The stars - or at least the Moon - will align this month for a terrific display of meteors.
The Geminids radiate from Gemini the Twins which will be overhead at 1:30 a.m. But at the same time the next day the moon is dramatically close to the upper right of bright Jupiter.
- Jeff Goldblum, Chris Pratt - and raptor Blue
- World War Z Video Game Adaptation Fights Off Zombies
- Nigeria Army replaces Commander Operation Lafiya Dole
- 'Creek Fire' burns 4000 acres above Sylmar and prompts evacuations
- Inspired Dying Light Game Announced
- Bryan Singer Sued for Allegedly Sexually Assaulting 17-Year-Old Boy
- San Diego fire weather is so extreme, purple is the new red
- US Health Care Spending Decreases in 2016
- Parents of murder suspect appear in court
- Bel-Air Fire Spurred Major Changes in Fire Safety Rules