-Third in the number of homeless veterans, with 1,067.
Team de Blasio's approach to the city's "right to shelter" law is helping the record numbers: Families who once would have let relatives live "doubled up" with them now encourage them to enter the shelter system for a temporary place to stay until the city gives them an emergency grant, puts them in public housing or gets them a Section 8 subsidy.
Nationwide, the number of homeless military veterans went up 1.5 percent past year, and that group now makes up 9.1 percent of the total homeless population, according to the report.
A federal agency says IN had an estimated 360 fewer homeless people during this year's annual count of the nation's people without homes.
In breaking down the homeless count, there was a 26 percent jump in individuals without a permanent home in North Dakota.
"There are days when I don't want to wake up", said 30-year-old Ashley, who found herself homeless in July after being evicted and losing her job.
- 10,798 people were homeless representing an overall decrease of 792 individuals or 6.8 percent from 2016 and a 25 percent decrease since 2010.
"In many high-cost areas of our country, especially along the West Coast, the severe shortage of affordable housing is manifesting itself on our streets", HUD Secretary Ben Carson said in a statement. On a single night in January 2017, 383 Veterans were experiencing homelessness. It's an increase of less than one percent over 2016. Since 2010, however, veteran homelessness in IL declined by 23.7 percent and by almost 46% nationally. "With rents rising faster than incomes, we need to bring everybody to the table to produce more affordable housing and ease the pressure that is forcing too many of our neighbors into our shelters and onto our streets".
One of the major consequences of the homeless explosion in the West Coast is a deadly hepatitis A outbreak that prompted California officials to declare a state of emergency two months ago.
HUD's 2017 Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress found that nationwide more than 550,000 people experienced homelessness on a single night in 2017. HUD will treat 2017 as a baseline year for purposes of tracking progress toward reducing youth homelessness.
- Hugh Jackman Passed On Playing James Bond
- Reza Zarrab accused of raping cellmate in Manhattan prison
- Will These Stocks Remain Hot? Gilead Sciences, Inc. (GILD), LendingClub Corporation (LC)
- Mourinho is "confident of signing Spurs defender" in January
- US Health Care Spending Decreases in 2016
- Delhi govt finds Max Hospital guilty in infant death case
- Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannou Set For UFC 220 on January 20
- Commerzbank Aktiengesellschaft FI Purchases 66329 Shares of Marathon Oil Co. (MRO)
- Complete Analysis of: Barrick Gold Corporation (NYSE:ABX)
- Nigeria Army replaces Commander Operation Lafiya Dole