St Pierre, the former welterweight king, returned to the sport last month with a stunning win over former middleweight champ Michael Bisping in NY.
"I did what I did; I learned from my mistakes", said St-Pierre, who seems to attribute a recent bout of colitis to his calorific pre-UFC 217 diet. "I will be giving up my belt and once I'm healthy I look forward to working with the UFC to determine what's next in my career".
The question remains if St-Pierre will ever compete at 185 pounds again, as many believe that he only took the Bisping fight because he considered it to be an easy match-up.
A UFC official confirmed to the Daily Telegraph today that Whittaker would take over St-Pierre's title.
These comments essentially echo St-Pierre's previous statements regarding his future atop the middleweight division. He's beaten top contenders Derek Brunson and Ronaldo Souza, and most recently defeated Yoel Romero at UFC 213 this past July in a five-round fight that made him the interim champion.
GEORGES ST-PIERRE'S REIGN as UFC middleweight champion may turn out to be short-lived. The announcement comes on the heels of the French-Canadian's interview with TSN where he suggested that he wasn't sure if he'd defend the title.
UFC 221 will be the first time Perth has hosted a UFC event.
Respected MMA journalist Ariel Helwani reported on Thursday that preliminary talks were underway which would see Whittaker, the interim middleweight champion, face Rockhold on February 11. Rockhold would lose the gold in his first title defense, which came against Michael Bisping at UFC 199.
St-Pierre's Brazilian Jiu-jitsu coach John Danaher claimed after the fight that, despite his efforts to bulk up, "GSP" only weighed 190.5lbs in the octagon against Bisping - roughly the same as what he weighed after re-hydrating during his time as a welterweight.
- World War Z Video Game Adaptation Fights Off Zombies
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle gets new versus mode for free
- Bayonetta 3 revealed exclusively for Nintendo Switch
- Inspired Dying Light Game Announced
- National Hockey League gives Seattle green light to apply for franchise
- Virat Kohli grabs second position in Test rankings
- Saudi Crown Prince Was Behind Record Bid for a Leonardo
- Palestinians injured in clashes with Israeli in Gaza city
- Commerzbank Aktiengesellschaft FI Purchases 66329 Shares of Marathon Oil Co. (MRO)
- Delhi govt finds Max Hospital guilty in infant death case