Franks drew national ire in 2013 when he said, "Incidents of rape resulting in pregnancy are very low" - a remark he later said was taken out of context. "And if this turns out to be true, there won't be that many people who are surprised". On Thursday evening, a group of conservative House Republicans gathered around Franks on the floor and prayed with him.
According to Arizona Governor Doug Ducey's office, "According to Arizona state law, the governor will have to call a special election to fill the seat because Franks' resignation comes more than six months before the next general election". "Franks said in a 2011 interview that "[gay marriage] literally is a threat to the nation's survival". Franken's announcement came just days after Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) retired following accusations of sexual harassment and abuse. Franks has harshly criticized some NFL players for not standing during the national anthem, calling them "arrogant and overpaid Lilliputians who dishonor America".
He's a strong backer of President Donald Trump and has embraced some of his stances on social issues.
Franks represents a district encompassing suburbs north and west of Phoenix.
The congressman serves on the Armed Services Committee and the Judiciary Committee, in addition to be a member of the House Freedom Caucus.
- Iraq Summons US Ambassador over Jerusalem Decision
- NBA Trade: Sixers reportedly send Jahlil Okafor, Stauskas to Nets for Booker
- Analysts See $3.92 EPS for Broadcom Limited (AVGO)
- Taylor Swift sent damages by DJ
- Apple Pay Cash now allows USA users to send money with iMessages
- Lookman's back! Ademola nets brace against Apollon Limassol
- Walt Disney Co (DIS) Shares Bought by IFM Investors Pty Ltd
- Simmba: Ranveer Singh to play quirky cop in KJo-Rohit Shetty collaboration
- Mozilla And Yahoo Sue Each Other Over Search Engine Deal
- Serena 'very likely' to make comeback at Australian Open