Matchday six of the 2017-18 Champions League is over and we now have a completed field of 16 teams that will progress from the group stageThirty-two teams have been whittled down to 16 for the second-round draw, which takes place shortly after the conclusion of the final group games.
From that point onwards it is a free draw so group-stage rematches and any all-Premier League clashes could be back on the agenda from that point onwards.
He also made it clear that while the draw options were less than ideal, Chelsea are a big enough club to be able to cope with whatever is thrown at them.
"But having got through to the last 16, Chelsea can concentrate on their Premier League form now".
One of the advantages of winning your Champions League group is that this guarantees that a team will not have to play one of the other seven sides who topped their group too.
Over the past five years, though, Premier League clubs have found it much more hard to make much headway in the competition.
Placing five teams in the Champions League knockout rounds (nearly a third of the participants) is an outstanding feat.
No English club has won the Champions League since 2012, suggesting the league has been passed up at the top levels, but there's no doubting the depth at the top possessed by the EPL. The Premier League right now is completely different in the depth of quality in comparison to the other top leagues in Europe. Helped in no small part by a ruthless 7-1 victory over Celtic, the Parisiens set a new record of 25 goals at the group stage, smashing the previous record of 21 set by Borussia Dortmund in 2016.
- Parents of murder suspect appear in court
- Georges St-Pierre Vacates UFC Title, Robert Whittaker Crowned Undisputed Champion
- Reza Zarrab accused of raping cellmate in Manhattan prison
- Bel-Air Fire Spurred Major Changes in Fire Safety Rules
- Bryan Singer Sued for Allegedly Sexually Assaulting 17-Year-Old Boy
- Commerzbank Aktiengesellschaft FI Purchases 66329 Shares of Marathon Oil Co. (MRO)
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle gets new versus mode for free
- World War Z Video Game Adaptation Fights Off Zombies
- National Hockey League gives Seattle green light to apply for franchise
- HUD claims decline in homeless count for 2017