According to Mark Schlabach of ESPN, former Vol quarterback and current USC offensive coordinator Tee Martin isn't expected to join Pruitt's staff at Tennessee should Pruitt finalize the deal and be the next head coach.
Currie then took an unauthorized trip to the Los Angeles and spent time over lunch trying to talk Washington State head coach Mike Leach into taking the Vols' job. The Crimson Tide ranks first in scoring defense this year, allowing 11.5 points per game, and led the nation last year while allowing 13 points per game.
The 43-year-old Pruitt has never been a head coach at any level, but he brings with him both a reputation as an ace recruiter and a championship pedigree.
Keep in mind Pruitt had to replace Marlon Humphrey, Reuben Foster, Ryan Anderson, Jonathan Allen, Tim Williams and Eddie Jackson, all of whom were selected in the 2017 National Football League draft.
Pruitt, a career-long defensive coach, has been on three national championship coaching staffs in the past seven years.
Saban is the best coach in college football, and even he relies on the deepest pool of assistant coaches in the country. A deal fell apart, though, when fans, the media and even Tennessee politicians reacted negatively to the choice, with some citing Schiano's tenuous links to the Jerry Sandusky scandal at Penn State. Dabo Swinney also owes a lot of Clemson's achievements under his watch to having two Broyles Award-winning assistants (Brent Venables and Tony Elliott) as well as another who eventually accepted the Arkansas job (Chad Morris).
Pruitt's hiring would put an end to a saga that looked set to end in November with Ohio State coordinator Greg Schiano becoming the new man in charge of the program.
Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee's former College Football Hall of Fame coach, replaced John Currie on Friday as the Vols' athletic director, and he has spearheaded the coaching search ever since.
Although Pruitt isn't the home-run hire some Vols fans will have wanted, he should have Tennessee headed in the right direction in 2018.
- Whistleblower To Dems: Flynn Promised Biz Associate He'd Gut Russia Sanctions
- Jio Rs 459 vs Vodafone Rs 509 Vs Airtel Rs 509
- Evacuations ordered in Bel Air as wildfire burns near the 405 freeway
- Trump calls on Saudis to immediately end Yemen blockade
- Giants' Eli Manning to officially start Week 14
- Putin to Allow Athletes to Compete as Individuals in PyeongChang
- Hornets' Steve Clifford Takes Leave Of Absence To Address Health
- Chiefs CB Marcus Peters suspended for Sunday's game after Jets incident
- Mariners and Angels add $1M apiece from Twins to pursue Shohei Ohtani
- Detentions spike, border arrests fall in Trump's first year