The exact line up for the new version of emoji is a long way away from being official, but the idea of being able to reverse certain icons is interesting and in some situations will mean people can use them in a whole new way.
This week, the Unicode Emoji Consortium-the folks in charge of picking emojis-released Emoji 11 beta.
Since the beginning of this year, there's been a lot of buzz around what kind of new emoji Unicode 11.0 would bring. For instance, you could change the direction of that runner emoji to face left or right depending on your preference. New emoji sequences, which are used for variations on a single emoji (like the skin tone variations), were added as well, giving the superhero and supervillain two gender options, skin tone options for leg and foot and 48 new sequences for man and woman, which include skin tone variations and hairstyle options. A new section now outlines a ZWJ mechanism which will let the vendor switch directions of any emoji. While this is unfortunate for users who want to text a picture of a dismayed pile of poop, it's nice to know that the list is being continually updated to best reflect a combination of efficiency and the needs of their audience. That being said the glyphs will only be applied for emoji's that benefit from them.
The proposal to include this change in a future round of Unicode's emoji updates is just a draft at this point and might not ever become a feature on your phone.
In a statement to Emojipedia, Unicode President Mark Davis stated that "Final decisions about the 2018 emoji list will be made at the Unicode Technical Meeting in January, with details to be published by the end of Q1 2018". Apple and other companies would be able to pick and choose which emoji will be customizable.
- Nigerian motorists queuing for fuel told there are no shortages
- Akash kisses Shilpa Shinde, Hina Khan calls Hiten 'spineless'
- UCLA Basketball: Steve Alford 'Surprised' By LiAngelo Ball's Departure
- Roger Goodell finally signs contract extension with NFL
- Putin to Allow Athletes to Compete as Individuals in PyeongChang
- Man United among Champions League last 16
- Evacuations ordered in Bel Air as wildfire burns near the 405 freeway
- Jio Rs 459 vs Vodafone Rs 509 Vs Airtel Rs 509
- John Mayer thanks fans for "amazingly kind and loving tweets"
- Lubaina Himid wins Turner Prize 2017