- They are trying to go the extra mile: One theory is Ohtani's representation has informed the teams that he really does like what they have to offer and that they are the two finalists, but could they possibly do a little something extra to sweeten the pot? Considering the Twins had no chance of acquiring Shohei Ohtani, it's fair to say they did very well in both trades.
Once he has reached a decision on who to play for, the team and Ohtani will have until 11:59 p.m. ET on December 22 to sign a contract.
The Seattle Mariners announced they traded minor league catcher David Banuelos to the Minnesota Twins in exchange for the global slot money. Going to the Twins will be catching prospect David Banuelos.
Pearson was a third-round pick in 2017 by the Angels out of high school in Louisiana, and in his professional debut hit.226/.302/.284 in 40 games in the Arizona Rookie League.
On the Twins' side of things, Banuelos, a fifth-rounder out of Long Beach State drafted just this year, put up a.725 OPS across 36 games in the Northwest League in 2017.
Seattle can now offer Otani $2,557,500 and Los Angeles can spend $2,315,000. The team that lands him can sign him to a minor league deal. Because of the Braves scandal, Major League Baseball told teams it could use money remaining from this year's pool or dip into next year's pool to sign players, but could not double dip. The Rangers, Cubs and Padres also met with Ohtani on Tuesday. The Mariners have $2.557 million. The Twins announced the deal will send $1 million in bonus funds to the Mariners for the 21-year-old catcher. Atlanta's worldwide scouting scandal made free agents of 12 players (the Angels have reportedly already agreed to terms with former Braves prospect Kevin Maitan).
Ohtani, the 23-year-old two-way star, is not believed to put a high priority on finances as he makes his decision, which must come by December 22.
- Eminem reveals Ed Sheeran and Pink collaborations for Revival album
- Hawaii introduces nuclear air raid drills as tensions with North Korea escalate
- Hackers hold NC county's computers ransom for 2 bitcoins
- Pope urges respect for Jerusalem 'status quo'
- Nigerian motorists queuing for fuel told there are no shortages
- Evacuations ordered in Bel Air as wildfire burns near the 405 freeway
- UCLA Basketball: Steve Alford 'Surprised' By LiAngelo Ball's Departure
- Riyadh says most corruption detainees have agreed to settle
- Giants' Eli Manning to officially start Week 14
- Violence against women concerns us all