Manchester United reached the Champions League last-16 as Group A winners after coming from behind to beat CSKA Moscow 2-1 at home and finish ahead of Basel who also went through with a 2-0 win at Benfica on Tuesday.
The post Man Utd, Basel, Roma, Juventus into Champions League last 16 appeared first on Vanguard News.
"If you see the teams that you could face even being first it's hard, but it's true that being first you play the second leg at home".
It was a busy night of European football as a host of teams played their final Champions League group stage fixture.
Now that the group stage is over, here's everything you need to know for the Round of 16. But Dortmund, like Atletico and Napoli, was terrible in the Champions League play, only registering two points via draws with APOEL.
Consequently, it isn't surprising that during that period Premier League clubs had relatively little trouble in progressing to the last 16, with all four clubs doing so five times in those seven years.
Robert Lewandowski opened the scoring and Corentin Tolisso struck twice as Bayern Munich fell just short of topping Group B with a 3-1 win over Paris Saint-Germain at the Allianz Arena.
Four teams have transferred to the UEFA Europa League round of 32 after finishing third in their UEFA Champions League groups.
A day later, Liverpool can secure top spot in Group E by beating Spartak.
In other Group matches, Real Madrid beat Borussia Dortmund 3-2, Tottenham thrashed Apoel Nicosia 3-nil, FC Porto beat Monaco 5-2 while NK Maribor and Sevilla drew 1-all.
Possible opponents won't be fully known until the Europa League group stage concludes on Thursday but Celtic will not be seeded in the draw, which takes place on Monday, December 11.
Premier League giants Manchester United and Italians Juventus were among the sides to advance to the knockout round of the Champions League Tuesday following victories on the final matchday while Atletico Madrid were eliminated after being held at Chelsea.
- Steven N'Zonzi Reportedly Flies into London for Arsenal Transfer Talks
- Evacuations ordered in Bel Air as wildfire burns near the 405 freeway
- Chiefs CB Marcus Peters suspended for Sunday's game after Jets incident
- UNICEF Says 17 Million Babies At Risk From Toxic Air
- UnitedHealth Group's Optum to acquire dialysis-center chain DaVita for $4.9B
- Bengaluru: After complaint, Ola driver made six threat calls, says stylist
- Detentions spike, border arrests fall in Trump's first year
- Whistleblower To Dems: Flynn Promised Biz Associate He'd Gut Russia Sanctions
- Giants' Eli Manning to officially start Week 14
- Pope urges respect for Jerusalem 'status quo'