No. Within 3 minutes of the restart it was 4-0 as Mane got the goal he had been threatening in the first half.
On this evidence, the group runners-up, including Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, could do worse than to avoid Liverpool in Monday's last-16 draw. In Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino, Coutinho has a supporting cast which can finally supplement a level of cohesion that he desperately craved to join at the Nou Camp last summer.
The second 7-0 win of the Group E campaign, following the thrashing of Maribor in Slovenia, was a reminder of the devastating potential of his "Fab Four" attack.
Liverpool was one of four English teams to top a group, along with Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham.
The former Twente star has a close relationship with global colleague and Liverpool man Georginio Wijnaldum, and in January he admitted the Reds man wanted him to move to Anfield. He now also holds the distinction of being the club's fastest-ever Champions League scorer at Anfield when, inside three minutes, he provided some early breathing space after Georgi Dzhikiya pulled down Salah as he attempted to meet the Brazilian's cross.
In the 85th minute, Salah finally got his long-sought goal after receiving the ball inside of the box, fakes a shot that led two defenders to collide with each other before shooting with his right foot straight into the top corner. "It proves that we are not trained for the Champions League level", he commented. The way they cut open Spartak Moscow so effortlessly in the first 20 minutes alone will make a number of their rivals stand up and take notice.
The start went from good to great for the home side, as Coutinho doubled the score with his second of the match in the 15th minute.
They are already on course to better the 110 goals scored when Brendan Rodgers took to Liverpool to within a whisker of the Premier League title in 2013-14.
Liverpool can secure a first place finish in their group with a win tonight.
Liverpool have now scored the most Champions League group-stage goals of any English team in history.
- Riyadh says most corruption detainees have agreed to settle
- Trump calls on Saudis to immediately end Yemen blockade
- Analyzing US Gasoline Inventories and Demand
- Pope urges respect for Jerusalem 'status quo'
- Dem Women Senators Call For Franken Ouster Amid Harassment Allegations
- Atlanta mayoral candidate demands recount after losing by razor-thin margin
- PM Modi attacks Congress in Gujarat over the Ayodhya issue
- Osmania University suspends classes after protests on campus, exams postponed
- Jihadist Plot to Kill British Prime Minister Thwarted
- Detentions spike, border arrests fall in Trump's first year