That's driven largely by Democrats and independents, who overwhelmingly disapprove, while Republicans approved of the bill by 70% in that same poll.
If there is a bright spot in these data for Republicans, Gallup says, it is that public uncertainty about the plan is highest among Republicans (14 percent) and independents (19 percent) - two groups that might break relatively positively toward the law as they learn more about it, thus nudging overall approval a bit higher.
Here is a link to more details on the breakdown of the survey, including various subgroups. As many as 46% of those polled said that the investigation was justified, 74% of them being Democrats and 17% Republicans.
In a different question, 61 percent of voters said the plan favored the rich at the expense of the middle class.
Trump told reporters Tuesday that he views the tax plan as a "tremendous bill for jobs and for the middle class".
Fifty-two percent of the voters surveyed say they are "embarrassed" to have Donald Trump as their president while 25 percent say they are "proud". For results based on the total sample of national adults, the margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points at the 95 percent confidence level. "That's the harsh assessment of President Donald Trump, whose tax plan is considered built for the rich at the expense of the rest", said Tim Malloy, assistant director of the poll.
The Senate, in turn, approved its own almost $1.5 trillion tax overhaul bill Saturday - legislation which Republicans contended would benefit Americans of all incomes and jumpstart the economy.
The poll was conducted between November 29 and December 4 and included phone interviews with 1,508 voters with a margin of error of 3.1 percent.
After a year in which the party has passed no major legislation despite holding majorities in both houses of congress, GOP lawmakers crave a victory before year's end, an accomplishment to gloat about during their upcoming break.
The House voted 222-192 Monday to approve a motion to go to conference with the Senate on the tax overhaul bill.
- Khamenei warns of 'heavy blow' against Israel if Jerusalem declared capital
- Call of Duty WW2's Winter Siege Starts This Friday
- The latest link between hormonal contraceptives and breast cancer
- Priyanka Chopra beats Deepika Padukone to become Asia's sexiest woman
- Biggest Starbucks Roastery shop landed in China
- Harvey Weinstein was like a father: Jennifer Lawrence
- Jim Caldwell's Forecast | Snow potential grows for the weekend
- 2018 iPhone to Sport 6.1-inch LCD, Colorful Metal Backs
- House Intelligence committee questions Donald Trump Jr. on Russian Federation contacts
- Attorney-General warns Odinga's inauguration would be treason