Congrats to mindfulness and meditation app Calm and the $9.99 Affinity Photo from Serif Labs for taking home the coveted trophies, not to mention the little-known Splitter Critters and Thekla's The Witness for being named the 2017 iPhone and iPad Game of the Year respectively.
Apple's iPad game of the year is The Witness, a attractive single-person puzzle game.
With a press release and special sections featured on its digital storefronts this morning, Apple revealed the most popular apps, games, and media releases of 2017.
It's also hardly shocking to see crowd pleasers and essentials like Bitmoji, Snapchat, YouTube, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Google Maps or Netflix among the iOS App Store's most popular 2017 apps. Super Mario Run was the most popular free game of 2017, while Heads Up and Minecraft were recognized as the most popular paid ones. Apple also noted trends in iTunes U educational content, with computer science being a huge area of interest, with a strong focus on developing apps with Swift. Apple features augmented reality, online realtime mobile games, environmentally-minded apps for sustainable living, and apps to help with parenting.
To begin with, on Apple Music, Drake topped album of the year with More Life, while Ed Sheeran's Shape of You got top song honors. Apple said Taylor Swift's new album Reputation has already reached No. 3 on the 2017 USA top album chart, an impressive feat considering it was just released on November 10.
Apple also listed the top movies in the Apple Store, with Disney's Moana ranks first followed by Wonder Woman, and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story in the third spot. "Game of Thrones" unsurprisingly dominated the iTunes TV charts, followed by "The Walking Dead", HBO's "Big Little Lies", NBC's "This Is Us", PBS's "Victoria" and FX's "The Americans".
- Uber paid off hacker using bug bounty programme
- Ex-Cop Michael Slager Found Guilty of Murder in Walter Scott Shooting
- Active shooter reported at Aztec High School
- August Ames death: Is this why adult film star, 23, died?
- Luxury Brands Win a Crucial Victory in Battle Against Amazon Distribution
- Pearson plc 2.4% Potential Upside Indicated by JP Morgan Cazenove
- Myanmar forces may be guilty of genocide, United Nations says
- Instagram's Distinct Messaging App Could be A victor
- Aiyar's jibe at PM, his latest in series of personal attacks
- What the CVS and Aetna merger could mean for you