Earlier this year Poundland put United Kingdom discount chain 99p Stores - which it bought for £55m two years ago - into administration.
Poundland parent company Steinhoff International has seen its shares plummet 66 per cent as chief executive Markus Jooste resigned with immediate effect amid an accounting scandal.
It said it would also investigate whether previous financial results need to be corrected.
Steinhoff said Wiese would "embark on a detailed review of all aspects of the company's business with a view to maximising shareholder value", but its South African shares slumped 65 percent to an eight-year low of 15.87 by 1120 GMT.
The Supervisory Board has today appointed its Chairman, Dr. Christo Wiese, as Executive Chairman (Delegated Supervisory Chairman) on an interim basis.
Shareholders and other investors in Steinhoff are advised to exercise caution when dealing in the securities of the Group.
Steinhoff's share price fell by more than 50% by midday on Wednesday, dropping to about R19 from its Tuesday close of R45.65. Steinhoff derives about 60% of its earnings in Europe and 34% in Africa.
Over near two decades Mr Jooste has overseen Steinhoff's expansion from a South African furniture manufacturer to one of the world's biggest household goods retailers.
The company said (http://www.steinhoffinternational.com/downloads/2017/Announcement%205%20Dec%202017%20JSE.pdf) "new information has come to light today which relates to accounting irregularities requiring further investigation".
While the nature of its accounting investigation was not disclosed, it had already been known that it was facing a tax probe in Germany.
- Atiku Visit PDP Headquarters, Urges All Defectors To Return "Home"
- Zinke Says New Mexico Monuments Won't Shrink
- PM meets new UP mayors, Amethis civic polls winners of BJP
- Arnold officer in critical condition after shooting
- "Presidents can not obstruct justice" claim by Trump lawyers may not hold up
- NVIDIA (NASDAQ:NVDA) PT Raised to $250.00 at Canaccord Genuity
- 11000-acre Creek fire prompts mandatory evacuations from La Crescenta to Sylmar
- Is Arshi Khan The New Captain Of The House?
- Champions League: United, Juve into Last 16; as Bayern Beat PSG
- Take Two: Schumer, Pelosi Accept Trump's Invitation to Talk Budget