The state Assembly has 182 seats.
A day after the civic poll results in Uttar Pradesh were declared, former Finance Minister P. Chidambaram on Saturday contested the notion that the BJP has "swept" the polls in the State.
The Lokniti-CSDS poll commissioned by ABP News suggests that there is widespread resentment among the Gujarat electorate against demonetization as well as GST and the BJP's projected vote share declined as the electioneering progressed.
Counting of votes in Gujarat will be taken up on 18 December. With the BJP's extensive campaign in the local polls in UP paying off, the sweeping win is considered as a boost to the saffron party in the midst of the high-decibel campaign for the Gujarat elections.
Patidar leader Hardik Patel has been steadily losing popularity since August, and has crashed by 6 per cent in October alone, coming down from 64 per cent to 58 per cent among Patel voters, the survey said. In percentage terms in the assembly polls, the BJP percentage of votes had then jumped from less than 15 percent in 2012 to around 43 percent a quantum jump.
In North Gujarat which has 53 seats, the poll gave the Congress a lead over the BJP. Though Congress did not field any candidate in Amethi, the victory of a BJP candidate there is still considered a major blow to Congress leader Rahul Gandhi as it is his parliamentary constituency and considered a Congress bastion.
BJP on the other hand, is not only confident of winning the polls but also of increasing the vote share gap.
He also met the three BJP leaders who won from Amethi and expressed confidence that the region would develop under them. He said in Varanasi nagar nigam out of 90 seats of corporators the BJP won only 36 seats while the Congress and Samajwadi party together won 44 seats and the rest were won by the independents.
- Steve Smith admits being nervous on final day following Australia's Ashes win
- Man Charged in 2010 Murder of Former Grizzlies Center Lorenzen Wright
- Arnold officer in critical condition after shooting
- Google Pixel 2 receives major price cut on Flipkart
- Explore the Expansive "Monster Hunter"
- Fugitive US lawyer wanted for fraud captured in Honduras
- Stock Technical & Performances to Explore: JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM)
- Toll Brothers misses on the top and bottom lines
- Ramos rubbishes Ronaldo rift reports
- Atiku Visit PDP Headquarters, Urges All Defectors To Return "Home"