Now under interim coach Steve Spagnuolo, who was promoted from defensive coordinator on Monday and is considered a candidate to replace McAdoo, Manning will start for the 211th time in his career. "When Mr. John Mara and I talked, one of the first things he asked was about the quarterback situation, and I said, 'John, my gut is right now Eli should be the starter'".
The move was not announced by Spagnuolo until after practice Wednesday, but the first hint came when the 36-year-old Manning took the first snap when the offense went to work.
Sales of Manning's jersey surged more than 70 per cent after his benching last week, compared with sales over the previous seven days, according to data from sports retailer Fanatics, which runs the National Football League's official online shop.
Manning rightfully rebuffed the idea of taking token starts simply to prolong his streak.
- Natural disaster hits Uttarakhand, tremors felt in Delhi, Haryana
- Lena Dunham Says She Warned Hillary Clinton's Campaign About Harvey Weinstein
- Dem Women Senators Call For Franken Ouster Amid Harassment Allegations
- Vladimir Putin to stand for re-election as Russian president
- Saints prep for Falcons, may have Lattimore
- Hackers hold NC county's computers ransom for 2 bitcoins
- Dele Alli bids to recover form in weakened Tottenham team
- Chiefs CB Marcus Peters suspended for Sunday's game after Jets incident
- Riyadh says most corruption detainees have agreed to settle
- PM Modi attacks Congress in Gujarat over the Ayodhya issue