Amid high drama, the Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to defer until after the 2019 Lok Sabha polls the final hearing in the Ayodhya title dispute on a plea by the Sunni Waqf Board and others over which it expressed shock and surprise and posted the case for February 8 next.
Speaking to ANI, Mehboob said: "Yes, Kapil Sibal is our lawyer, but he is also related to a political party".
The development comes a day after Sibal, who is representing the Sunni Waqf Board in the Ram temple issue, urged the Supreme Court to take up the Babri Masjid-Ram Janmabhoomi case in July 2019, after the Lok Sabha elections. The stakeholders in the case had moved the top court after the Allahabad High Court directed the Sunni Waqf Board, the Nirmohi Akhara and the Lord Ram Lalla to settle for a three-way division of the disputed site.
BJP spokesperson G V L Narasimha Rao tried to corner the opposition Congress over Sibal's submission in the apex court. He further increased his rhetoric after clarification from the Sunni Waqf Board.
"But you dare say that the case should not be heard till 2019 elections". "Construction of Ram Temple is part of BJP manifesto in 2014, court should not fall into the trap", Sibal had said.
The Supreme Court today made a decision to hear the civil appeals filed by various parties challenging the 2010 Allahabad High Court verdict on the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid title dispute on February 8 next year.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday attacked the Congress party and senior leader Kapil Sibal for linking Ram Mandir issue with politics.However, reacting to that, Modi said, "Yesterday in the SC, a Congress MP Kapil Sibal was arguing (which is his right) for the Babri Masjid. To comment on it will be unfair", Congress leader Prithviraj Chavan told reporters at the party headquarters here.
Surjewala said Congress' stand on Ayodhya issue has always been clear.
The prime minister said every six months there were elections in one place in the country or another. Two general secretaries and the convener were present and they have no disagreement with the statement of Sibal either, Jilani said.
- Prince William probably won't be Prince Harry's best man
- Time names Person of the Year
- Is Arshi Khan The New Captain Of The House?
- Amazon launches Prime membership in Singapore to attract customers
- Dead baby found alive: Delhi govt probe panel faults Max Hospital
- United Kingdom made no estimate of Brexit's economic impact
- Steinhoff shares plunge 60% after CEO quits
- Iomart Group Plc 13.9% Potential Upside Indicated by N+1 Singer
- Adams nails 20 points in Thunder win
- Joel Matip Ruled Out Of Crucial Champions League Clash Vs Spartak Moscow