Atlanta residents are heading to the polls in what could be a historic mayoral election. It is said that Norwood would be asking for a recount, but Bottoms already seems to be settling into her new role as Mayor-Elect, spending the morning after her victory, being interviewed by local news stations, ignoring all of the salty, white tears.
Although Bottoms did declare victory, the margin was narrow enough for Norwood, her opponent fighting to become Atlanta's first white mayor in more than 40 years, to ask for a recount.
With 100 percent of precincts reporting just after midnight, outgoing Mayor Kasim Reed took to the stage at Bottoms' campaign party at the Hyatt Regency in Downtown and introduced her as the next mayor of the city.
"After I sleep, we'll start refocusing on the transition", she said.
"Atlanta is one city, and it's just about moving forward and making sure we're all working in the same direction", said Bottoms.
Norwood told reporters she meant to seek a recount.
This is the second time in eight years that the mayoral election of Atlanta headed to a recount.
Votes rolled in late Tuesday evening, offering a nail-biting finish for the contentious race to lead one of the largest cities in the deep south - and one that echoed Atlanta's 2009 mayoral contest, when Norwood narrowly lost to Reed and requested a recount, which certified the slim loss. Some people say that may have harmed her chances in this current election.
Lance Bottoms was at the CBS46 studios to talk with us about her huge victory.
Voters Tuesday were deciding between Keisha Lance Bottoms and Mary Norwood. "And across this city, we got Black Girl Magic, we got Black Boy Magic, we got White Girl Magic, we got White Boy Magic, we have Brown Girl Magic, Brown boy Magic and everything in between".
- Lena Dunham Says She Warned Hillary Clinton's Campaign About Harvey Weinstein
- National Christmas Tree Shortage Hits the Four States
- Investigation continues as missing girls found
- Margot Robbie & Tonya Harding Look Like Longtime BFFs At 'I, Tonya' Premiere
- Saints prep for Falcons, may have Lattimore
- Bengaluru: After complaint, Ola driver made six threat calls, says stylist
- Manchester City to return for Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez in January
- That new rumoured Portal game? It's a Bridge Constructor spin-off
- Dem Women Senators Call For Franken Ouster Amid Harassment Allegations
- Melbourne byelection looms as Labor's David Feeney falls into citizenship trap