Authorities say officer Ryan O'Connor was transporting Chad Klahs, a burglary suspect, to booking at the Arnold police station, when Klahs shot him in the head while they were inside a police SUV.
The officer and suspect were both taken to St. Anthony's Medical Center in South County.
The suspect ran into the woods and fired shots, though it wasn't clear if he was shooting at police.
During a news conference, Jefferson County Sheriff's Capt. Gary Higginbotham said that the suspect was very well-known to police. Police say he died from a self inflicted gunshot wound.
It happened near the Arnold police station. Police believe Klahs then turned the gun on himself.
The man accused of shooting an Arnold officer Tuesday has been in and out of prison for the past few years. However, the suspect apparently had a second weapon on him not found during the arrest, which he allegedly used to shoot the officer, Higginbotham said.
Jefferson County Sheriff's deputies were investigating at the scene where the crashed SUV remains surrounded by police tape. Police aren't sure if that wound was self-inflicted. He was caught a short time later and a gun was confiscated.
It is unclear when he was most recently released from custody.
An eastern Missouri police officer is being treated for life-threatening injuries after being shot near police headquarters.
Images from 5 On Your Side's chopper show an Arnold police vehicle crashed into a large gas tank outside the police department. The condition of the suspect is not known at this time. There is a cage to prevent prisoners in the vehicle from injuring officers. Sheriff Dave Marshak on Twitter urged people to "pray for our law enforcement family".
- Google Pixel 2 receives major price cut on Flipkart
- Italy's Prysmian to buy United States rival General Cable for €3bn
- US Battles For Global Push On N.Korea Amid Russia, China Doubts
- Trump transition official in email: Russian Federation 'has just thrown the U.S. election'
- Suspect Dead After Police-Involved Shooting In The Bronx
- Griffin Asset Management Inc. Takes Position in United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS)
- Champions League: United, Juve into Last 16; as Bayern Beat PSG
- Pizza Hut testing beer delivery in Phoenix
- Johnny Hallyday, the Elvis of France, Dies at 74
- Fugitive US lawyer wanted for fraud captured in Honduras