Tennessee athletic director John Currie was incognito for part of Thursday as well. The Volunteers have gone through a long and painful coaching search this offseason.
According to Newy Scruggs of NBC Dallas-Fort Worth, Tennessee is "working on a deal" with Washington State coach Mike Leach. He took over a four win Cougars team and flipped the script.
But one person whose name has been mentioned all along is Leach, who has turned around Washington State's program.
The Vols had another coach in their sights on Thursday, but just like the last few days, Tennessee didn't end up getting the man they were targeting.
While we have made fun of Tennessee's head coaching search, Leach would actually be a tremendous hire.
With students, faculty and even politicians criticizing Currie for considering Schiano, he was dropped out of the coaching race for the Volunteers.
And now, the latest: North Carolina State coach Dave Doeren won't be hired either.
The Volunteers are not eligible for a bowl game and will begin their 2018 season against West Virginia University on September 1 of next year.
- Devils, Ducks fill needs with Henrique-Vatanen swap
- Harrison's 2nd annual Christmas Festival & Parade to feature more attractions
- 'Start of real change': New migraine drug cuts attacks by 50%
- Rescue mission for Argentine submarine crew ends, search for sub continues
- Health Officials Urge You To Get Your Flu Shot
- Applebees offering $1 Long Island Iced Teas during month of December
- Dow Jones closes above 24000 points for first time
- Will "American Gods" Dip in Quality Without Bryan Fuller as Showrunner?
- Beyonce, Ed Sheeran to Release a Duet Today Entitled "Perfect"
- Allardyce wants ex-Liverpool duo in Everton setup